I'm blown away. Ukuleles = major happiness

yorick

Reaction score
Here was my brief intro thread for some general background:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?64199-Hello-from-St-Louis

Anyway, I got the Lanikai LU-11 (soprano) and Lanikai LU-21T (tenor). Both arrived yesterday.

I won't go too much into review territory since this is the Uke Talk board, but I will say that both came with a good out of the box setup and sound awesome. I'd definitely recommend either of these Ukes to a new player such as myself.

Anyway, I just can't believe how happy playing them made me feel. Chords are coming quickly due to my experience with guitar.

Now I just can't decide which one I like better. One of them is supposed to be for my daughter anyway. Originally I figured she would want the tenor, but I think she's leaning towards the soprano so far. Maybe the soprano will be easier for her to learn on - I don't know, I haven't gotten that far yet.

As the title says, I am blown away. I don't think I ever felt this great playing guitar. The soft sound and strings really are a winning combo for my ears and fingers. I was smiling the whole time I was playing new chords and simple songs.

It's pretty hard to go to sleep when all you want to do is get out of bed and play some more.

Welcome to the UU and our addiction!

When I talk about taking up the ukulele a year ago (at age 40, my first instrument) I describe it as "life changing" and that is no exaggeration. Welcome!

Oh I remember those feelings so well. Now almost two years later I still love the uke but can actually put it down for brief periods of time and no longer have a burning desire to sleep with it. Welcome

Haha, well welcome home, friend. :) I think we all know how you feel.

'Life Changing' is an easily appropriate description of the uke's power! Less than 1 year into it (38 years old) and my first instrument as well...I am now the proud owner of 11 ukes (3 I've made-cigarbox ukes) and plans for two more prepped in my shop. Can't get enough, and I don't know if I should say fortunately or unfortunately but it was 'Life Changing' for my wife to, cause now she has to listen to me! Hahahaha...

Welcome yorick, to the ultimate uke enabling site. This a great place for tips, problem solving and commiserating. Welcome home.

Hi Yorick! I can totally relate to your feelings. I have played guitar and drums my whole life (55 yrs) and since I started playing the Ukulele in December I can't think of anything else that gives me such joy. I was sitting around with my grandkids last Friday and we were all singing and laughing while I played. It's magical! I still like the guitar but the ukulele has changed me and made me a happier musician. A happier person!

I have also found that my mood is directly related to how often—or how little—I'm playing my uke. :)

Hi Yorick! I can totally relate to your feelings. I have played guitar and drums my whole life (55 yrs) and since I started playing the Ukulele in December I can't think of anything else that gives me such joy. I was sitting around with my grandkids last Friday and we were all singing and laughing while I played. It's magical! I still like the guitar but the ukulele has changed me and made me a happier musician. A happier person!
Hello flyingv8,
The grand children are indeed a blessing. We had pots and pans and spoons with them all on Sunday. Even the 2 year old got into the jam session. Except she thought jam session meant bread and jam and milk. She made a joyful noise on her little pink Mahalo never the less. HaHa!! The nice part was when they all went home and I could have my nap.
Regards
Jim

Welcome Yorick. The uke will be a great father/daughter thing. Just think, for her birthday you can buy the uke you want and then sneek it back when she's not looking!

Hope you two make much beautiful music together.

Top Bottom