Do I Enable My Kids with a Uke?

Thinker

Reaction score
OK - so I'm brand new to Uke playing. I've got a brand new, nice tenor, a good attitude, a lot of enthusiasm, and I've been having a stupid amount of fun. My kids (teenagers) have witnessed my goofing around. Now they want to join in. I've let them use mine, of course. (Carefully, very carefully - but that's been fine).

Here's what I'm thinking about: Assuming they are still interested in a few weeks (my standard thing with my kids and a new thing) do I go out and grab them a starter uke OR do I wait a little longer until I've gotten enough under my belt so I can be helpful to them? I'd like to be able to not have them get frustrated.

If I do get them one, should I get them a concert (better for smaller hands)? I think I'm assuming correctly that a tenor and a concert play well together.

Anybody have experience with propagating ukes among your kids when you, yourself, are a novice?

- Thinker

I think you think too much!
Enable away!!!
What a great way to spend time with your teens. Get them ukes...concert or soprano would be a great place to start. Inexpensive ukes can still sound decent and you could all be learning together.

Call up Uke Republic and get them a couple of makala dolpins in their favorite colors and let them join right in with you.. Have fun. Hook them in while you can!

I agree about the dolphins. They are very reasonable, very portable and durable.
Encourage the kids to play with and without you. The ukulele is very popular with the kids.

Definitely, do not get them their own uses! The way kids learn things so quickly, before long they will be teaching you new things. It can be very ego-bruising. Seriously, I agree with the others to let them get started. My oldest grand kid is seven so I just have several kid appropriate ukes in the living room they can pick up at will. When they do, I show them how to hold it and strum a little. Even the two year olds have taken part. I consider it a success if they don't hit their cousins over the head with it. Who knows, maybe one of them will actually get seriously interested. Good luck with your teens.

What everyone else said, and as for size, why not ask them? A teenager can play a soprano or a concert or a tenor. Wind instruments require more of a hand and finger wrap than a uke does...they'll be fine and will their own preferences, just go with the size that they like. :)

OK - so I'm brand new to Uke playing. I've got a brand new, nice tenor, a good attitude, a lot of enthusiasm, and I've been having a stupid amount of fun. My kids (teenagers) have witnessed my goofing around. Now they want to join in. I've let them use mine, of course. (Carefully, very carefully - but that's been fine).

Here's what I'm thinking about: Assuming they are still interested in a few weeks (my standard thing with my kids and a new thing) do I go out and grab them a starter uke OR do I wait a little longer until I've gotten enough under my belt so I can be helpful to them? I'd like to be able to not have them get frustrated.

If I do get them one, should I get them a concert (better for smaller hands)? I think I'm assuming correctly that a tenor and a concert play well together.

Anybody have experience with propagating ukes among your kids when you, yourself, are a novice?

- Thinker

Buy something nice that you will like if they lose interest.

Assuming they are still interested in a few weeks (my standard thing with my kids and a new thing) do I go out and grab them a starter uke OR do I wait a little longer until I've gotten enough under my belt so I can be helpful to them? I'd like to be able to not have them get frustrated.

As everyone else has said, yes, you should feel free to get them something now. In fact, a family trip to a local music store to pick out their ukes may be in order.

The one thing I would recommend against is just blindly ordering a Dolphin for each. Not that Dolphin's aren't decent starters, but they may be a bit too "cutesy" for a teen. Sort of like the aNueNue Rabbit or Bear ukes. Teens may think they are kind of lame.

Besides, I'm of the opinion you get the best instrument you can afford. Since it will sound better, it will probably be less chance the kids get frustrated when what they play doesn't sound good.

- Thinker

(Raises hand) I still consider myself pretty much a novice, and I've given ukes to four kids so far: two nephews, a niece, and a god daughter. It's never too soon - at least so I believe. And, since the uke is so welcoming in terms of getting the basics down, it serves as a great introduction to music.

Have fun!

I got my cousin one when she turned 11. I had only been playing for 2 weeks and knew a few songs, but I was able to teach her. I would take them to see what size they prefer and find a starter that is not too expensive. I have a luna, ohana, and a fender uke and I love them. It is also fun to learn stuff together. My cousin will ask me learn songs I do not know with her and we enjoy figuring them out. :)

You're so lucky to have teenagers that want to learn uke with you! With this in mind, get them to choose a nice uke each. Bear in mind that secondhand ukuleles hold their value extremely well on Ebay; if it doesn't work out just flog 'em, you wont lose much.

Also, there's no reason you have to be ahead of them to teach them. You'll be bouncing things off each other. Think of it as having peers to learn with, and you'll all progress faster.

I notice the kids are teenagers - dolphins may not be the best choice because they're too "cutesy" for guys of a certain adolescent age (if your teenagers are girls Dolphins might work out okay).

They should have near adult size hands, and if they like your tenor and don't seem to have any problem with it I'd get them some mid-priced tenors. YOu don't have to go nuts, get decent Kala or Lanikai laminated ukes from Uke Republic, HMS, Mim etc. where they'll be set up to be nice and playable and your kids will be good to go.

John

I agree. Your over thinking. Just get them ukes. Don't worry too much about knowing more than them to be helpful. You would be suprised how quickly kids learn. They learn much faster than adults, and to be honest, they will probably pass you up and teach you things. I've played guitar for over 30 years, my daughter is 14, and has played now for almost 7 years, and I am shocked at the things she teaches me. Don't let ego bug ya when they pass ya up, just enjoy it and have fun with them.

I got both my boys Kala travel sopranos when they started to play. They take them everywhere. I would avoid the Dolphins (too cute). If they stay with it then get something higher end later.

When I got my first uke ( a tenor for $400) the grandkids loved it and wanted to play it. I let them but was very nervous about them banging it around so I watched e-bay and bought a couple mid level ukes (a Lanikai and an Eddy Finn) for them. Since I got them the kids don't want to play! They will sit around and sing along with me, play bongos, shakers, tambourine but it's like it's too much work to actaully learn to play the ukulele. They are 12,10 and 8. The middle child will still try and she seems interested in learning. I want it to be fun so I don't push them. The ukuleles are there for them to enjoy if they want to. I play them so it wasn't a waste. I can always buy another ukulele for the kids too. That gives me a good excuse for my UAS!

Best thing I did was get my boy a red Dolphin to play along with me when he wants. We even performed together at his elementary school "coffee house" show. He doesn't practice, and is't very 'good" but he can play a clean C, G or F chord and we have fun.

You're wrecking them for life. They'll be spending their college tuitions and their doweries on UAS. Tip toe through the tulips carefully.

You're wrecking them for life. They'll be spending their college tuitions and their doweries on UAS. Tip toe through the tulips carefully.

That's awesome!

I teach high school and run the uke club there. I've had mixed results with the dolphins. Some say they're too cute but others think they're so over-the-top cute that they've become cool again -- ahhh, teenage wisdom.

One word of caution: buy them something you won't mind playing. The first thing my students do is "try out -- just for a minute, I swear" my Black Bear... and I get stuck with some sticky un-tuned laminate.

I know I'm going to reveal how "green" I am -- but what's UAS? The forum search returned nothing...but I know I've seen it mentioned. Clearly some form of purchasing disorder!! :)

Top Bottom