String Theory

Thinker

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I have a brand new KoAloha tenor. I've seen lots of posts about new ukes (really new strings) needing to be tuned quite a lot. I've been retuning every time I sit down. A few strings are always a little flat.

I'm wondering - how long does it take the Uke/Strings to settle in? Does it change based on the type of strings? (I've bought a new pair of D'addarios that I want to put on at some time).

Thanks for any guidance.

Yup
Tune up a half step overnight, then retune and tug gently, should be done stretching in a couple of days, fully settled in a week or so.

Yup
Tune up a half step overnight, then retune and tug gently, should be done stretching in a couple of days, fully settled in a week or so.

Thanks! Does this time change with the type of string, type of uke? Or is all pretty much the same?

It varies with the type of string. Aquilas seem to be the worst, taking sometimes a couple of weeks to settle down. Either way, I wouldn't be in any hurry to glue down your tuners. I usually have to touch up tuning every time I pick up a uke.

I only know about Fluorocarbons and Aquilas. I would say they take about the same amount of time to settle, and that once settled, the Aquilas are a little more prone to changing pitch with time, temp, phase of the moon. But that is a non-scientific impression. I hadn't considered whether scale length has an influence on the equation.
I can tell you empirically that incorrectly tied strings on a tie bridge go way out of tune in milliseconds :)

If I really stretch them, I can get strings settled in half an hour. At my last gig, broke an A on my Koaloha, and swapped it out mid set. Between each song for about half an hour needed tuning tweaking, but then it held. That was achieved with some tugging and twisting when the string first went on. Tune, pinch or pull, tune, repeat.

Top Bottom