Reusing Aquilas

fretie

Reaction score
I am keenly awaiting my new Worth strings that are destined to go on my concert uke. What I am wondering is, can I then use the aquilas that have been on the concert for about 4 months on my little drag-about-town soprano. Currently the inexpensive soprano has some no name strings on it that were originally in D tuning.

Would the aquilas be too stretched out from being one a concert size uke to function correctly on a soprano?

It's really not a matter of them being stretched out, but more like worn out. When strings get dull and lifeless sounding from age/playing, it seems pointless to re-use them, although I usually keep the ones I take off as spares in case I should break one and just need a single string and don't have the time/inclination to replace the entire set and go thru the break-in period.

I have put used tenor Aquilas on a concert Fluke and they worked just fine.

Concert strings would generally be a little bit thicker than sopranos and may put more tension on the top. If it were an expensive uke with a thin, solid top I probably wouldn't do it. But if it's a laminate, you should be okay.

Thanks itsme.

Yes, the soprano is laminate.

The aquilas have been on the concert for probably about four months, since it was new. I've been playing it for about two months, pretty much every day for about 1/2 hr to a hour a day. Would that constitute a 'worn out' time frame?

I noticed when buying the Worths that the string choices usually lumped concert and soprano sizes together. So I would guess that in the case of Worth strings, they don't alter the thickness between concert and soprano, is that right? But from what you are saying, perhaps Aquilas do have different thicknesses for concert and soprano...it must vary according to the manufacturer, yes?

Thanks itsme.

Yes, the soprano is laminate.

The aquilas have been on the concert for probably about four months, since it was new. I've been playing it for about two months, pretty much every day for about 1/2 hr to a hour a day. Would that constitute a 'worn out' time frame?

I noticed when buying the Worths that the string choices usually lumped concert and soprano sizes together. So I would guess that in the case of Worth strings, they don't alter the thickness between concert and soprano, is that right? But from what you are saying, perhaps Aquilas do have different thicknesses for concert and soprano...it must vary according to the manufacturer, yes?

It depends on your playing style - I use my nails a fair amount and I pretty much destroy a set of Aquilas in about six weeks on a uke I play a lot. If you see a lot of whitish powder on the top of your uke near the bridge or between the soundhole and fretboard - that's the coating you've worn off the Aquilas and they're pretty much done.

JOhn

Certainly if they haven't been played much they will be fine. I have a few sets of strings I swap about my new ukes when testing which brand I prefer on a new instrument

Certainly if they haven't been played much they will be fine. I have a few sets of strings I swap about my new ukes when testing which brand I prefer on a new instrument

Thanks bazmaz, I think I will go ahead and give the aquilas a try on my other uke then.

I wear them out so much I use them to repair my wind chimes!

I reuse Aquilas all the time on my crapper leave at work uke. I keep them on a few months to see if I like the uke enough to keep it (it seems like every other uke you buy now has Aquilas on them these days...) then I take them off and put on Worths or Alohis. I don't think it matters much what you put on your drag-about-town uke as it probably doesn't sound that awesome to begin with.

Top Bottom