Extremely Cool Martin on Antiques Roadshow Archive Page

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I was looking at the Antiques Roadshow archives and re-watched their appraisal of the Martin 5K from 2007. Then I noticed that you could click on "ukulele" to see other ukes they had appraised. The only other thing that came up was this: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200806A45.html
I've never seen anything like it! The back is amazing. Employee-built... Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides.. I want! Make sure to watch the video on the page.

The funny part is that after the show the apraiser offered $3000. It is worth $10,000+ by most estimates.

The funny part is that after the show the apraiser offered $3000. It is worth $10,000+ by most estimates.

Time for you to borrow it and do a review! (at least use you "contacts" to get us a sound sample)

Seems to me that someone had an employee built soprano like this up on ebay recently with an exorbitant price, I'll try and find it later but Chris did you see that model -- it had a spruce top too IIRC.

Tim, if he did that he should have been sanctioned by any professional appraisal organization that he belongs to (if he does belong) -- it is a violation of professional ethics to make an offer on something that you've appraised.

I've watched the video a few times since it was first uploaded. Martin friends go nuts for this one. It certainly is a beauty.

I grew up about 15 minutes from the Martin factory. Martin employees were allowed to make a limited number of instruments for themselves. I even owned an employee-made guitar at one point. Years later, I gave it back to the person who made it. If only I had fallen in love with the ukulele earlier in my life.

Shawn from Ukulelefriend.com deals a lot in these instruments. They are rare and highly valuable to collectors, but not necessarily better instruments. My guitar wasn't that great at all. The builder was happier to have it back than I ever was with it.

Tim, if he did that he should have been sanctioned by any professional appraisal organization that he belongs to (if he does belong) -- it is a violation of professional ethics to make an offer on something that you've appraised.

This is an extremely interesting piece. I too was very suprised- expecting at least double that in an appraisal considering current prices for 5k's and style 2's etc.

Top Bottom