Useful vise

Ken W

Reaction score
I recently visited a local gentleman who specializes in fret work. He has built many instruments, but now focuses on refretting and fret dressing for a lot of big-name artists. We spent a couple of hours in his shop going over his process. This vise served all of his instrument holding needs in the dressing and set-up process. I picked one up and have found it quite useful and versatile. It is a back vise (meaning the back, not the front, jaw moves) and with the parallel bars removed (not shown in these pictures) the jaws easily adjust to the angle of the headstock, neck, etc. Plastic jaws seem sturdy but kind to the wood. Not sure it would hold up to heavy planing, but I think it will be useful in the shop...and it was relatively inexpensive ($25.00 usd).

Attachments

• DSC03357.jpg
    DSC03357.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC03360.jpg
    DSC03360.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 86
where can i buy this baby?
I recently visited a local gentleman who specializes in fret work. He has built many instruments, but now focuses on refretting and fret dressing for a lot of big-name artists. We spent a couple of hours in his shop going over his process. This vise served all of his instrument holding needs in the dressing and set-up process. I picked one up and have found it quite useful and versatile. It is a back vise (meaning the back, not the front, jaw moves) and with the parallel bars removed (not shown in these pictures) the jaws easily adjust to the angle of the headstock, neck, etc. Plastic jaws seem sturdy but kind to the wood. Not sure it would hold up to heavy planing, but I think it will be useful in the shop...and it was relatively inexpensive ($25.00 usd).

Hmmmm....might be tougher than I thought. Just planed a peghead overlay on a neck held in this vise with good results.

Attachments

• DSC03367.jpg
    DSC03367.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom