Anyone know what this wood is?

UK Paulie

Reaction score
DSC_0295.jpgDSC_0296.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this wood? It was given to me, I thought it was mango but then someone said it wasn't. Now I'm not sure...Thanks in advance :)

Not likely to be Makore. Makore has a finer grain. A test for Makore is to touch a sander to it, if your eyes burn as soon as you turn it on, like no other wood, it might be Makore.

It might be bubinga.

I have no idea, P, if it is, really....I just like saying bubinga.

Mango is a possibility but it does remind me of T'zalam and Anigre. That rippled curl I've not seen so much on makore- but I've not been around as long as Rick has!

Sorry edit to say that some of the eucalyptus species can look like that too!

Thanks Lesley, you might be right. I cant seem to find any pics of ANYTHING that looks like it....If I do ever get to the stage where I'm going to build with it, I'd kinda like to be able to say "Adirondack spruce top and ______
back and sides" lol Rather than, maybe x, y or z wood on the back and sides...lol

You could send a DNA sample of the wood to Maury Povich. He'll have a n episode where he says "Sapele, you are NOT the father"

You could send a DNA sample of the wood to Maury Povich. He'll have a n episode where he says "Sapele, you are NOT the father"

I don't care enough to do that.....I dont want it to have 'issues' later in life...you know, falling apart, issues with CRACK...its just not worth it..

Top Bottom