Another crack repair and thanks!

ChrisRCovington

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone in this forum for being so supportive. I know many people here are pros and the advice they offer cuts into their work (although hey everyone needs to take a break sometime) and even cuts their work in some cases like simple repairs. Many of the old timers I'm sure learn very little here and offer information and tips to newbies all the time. Thank you everyone! You guys rock!

Anyway, I got advice a while ago to learn to use hot hide glue to repair ukuleles. At first it was a little difficult but I'm getting it down. I ordered a plastic fretboarded Roy Smeck Harmony ukulele from ebay and when it got here it had four very tight cracks (likely due to being too dry). The cracks were puckered in a little bit. I put the ukulele in front of a room humidifier for a few hours (not too close mind you) and the wood started to flatten back out. I then worked a little hot hide glue into the cracks and tapped it in to make sure it got in there. In just a few short minutes the cracks were sealed up good. I wiped the excess glue off and I'm letting it sit for a while while humindifying. The cracks are nice and flat now and almost invisible. I would take photos but you wouldn't see anything so it is sort of a waste of time. Just wanted to share my success story real fast! Thanks again everyone!

Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone in this forum for being so supportive. I know many people here are pros and the advice they offer cuts into their work (although hey everyone needs to take a break sometime) and even cuts their work in some cases like simple repairs. Many of the old timers I'm sure learn very little here and offer information and tips to newbies all the time. Thank you everyone! You guys rock!

Anyway, I got advice a while ago to learn to use hot hide glue to repair ukuleles. At first it was a little difficult but I'm getting it down. I ordered a plastic fretboarded Roy Smeck Harmony ukulele from ebay and when it got here it had four very tight cracks (likely due to being too dry). The cracks were puckered in a little bit. I put the ukulele in front of a room humidifier for a few hours (not too close mind you) and the wood started to flatten back out. I then worked a little hot hide glue into the cracks and tapped it in to make sure it got in there. In just a few short minutes the cracks were sealed up good. I wiped the excess glue off and I'm letting it sit for a while while humindifying. The cracks are nice and flat now and almost invisible. I would take photos but you wouldn't see anything so it is sort of a waste of time. Just wanted to share my success story real fast! Thanks again everyone!

I'd like to echo this sentiment. Thank you all, especially Rick Turner for suggesting I make a tool to insert in my uke to push up from below so that the HHG would really have a chance to get in the crack. I had fun making the little tool. It made me feel like McGiver because I had a limited amount of tools to work with and ended up modifying a toddler's "letter block" toy (an "L" for those keeping score) and a spoke from a motorcycle rim to create a wedge I could insert and then tilt up through the sound hole to push on the crack from underneath.

Anyhow, not to hijack the thread, but "Thank you" from me as well.

-Gary

Top Bottom