How thin is too thin for Redwood top?

Chris_H

Reaction score
Just cut this piece of salvage redwood, pretty tight lines, dead quartered. There are 4 one piece tenor tops that are very nice, one ready to be thicknessed, which will go on a Rosewood body. This feels quite a bit more flexible than Spruce or Koa. How thin is too thin for a top? I realize this depends on bracing and the exact piece of wood, but.... how thin would YOU go?

So the top and back run through the sander until they yield the correct amount of deflection?

(wish the newbie would stop asking stupid questions.....)

For tenors I'd be looking at between 1.8mm and 2.2mm

Huge variation I know, but it does come down to the particular wood itself and the bracing pattern I was using. I use 5 fan braces on all my tenors now so go a bit thinner on a top that would otherwise show brace telegraphing with just 3 fan braces.

Thank you.. I thought it should be thicker than other woods..

That wood was salvaged twice, first from a salgave yard, bought the board for $1. Then it was used as a shelf in my shower for 10 years until it was remodeled. The board had hardly changed except for a candle stain. Now it will be turned into instrument tops! I like that...

That wood was salvaged twice, first from a salgave yard, bought the board for $1. Then it was used as a shelf in my shower for 10 years until it was remodeled. The board had hardly changed except for a candle stain. Now it will be turned into instrument tops! I like that...

It's great to salvage wood, but if it's not stiff enough don't use it. Redwood can be floppy even when quarter sawn. You might want to save it for another project.

Top Bottom