Jake's strings on his Kamaka?

uke2020

Reaction score
Anyone know what strings JS plays on his uke? I figure that must be the reason for how awesome he sounds and figure I can sound just like him with an easy string change :drool:

I used a lot of hair gel today and my playing is vastly improved

I have an uke that I thought was closed up a bit. i asked him to try it to give me his thoughts. He picked it up, admired it's looks, Strummed, played While My Guitar Gently Weeps on it and pronounced it good. Told me to keep playing it eveyday and said it will open up more and more. I don't know what kind of mojo he put on it but I swear it sounds much better now and I am a better player--- well - that is how I see it :)

Easier than a string change. I figure that I'd improve by wearing a hat. Beside Jake, I see Aldrine & Jon got them too. My playing totally improved after I bought me a hat. So I have a few hats now. Mix and match with my uke. Some are great for strumming, others for picking pieces.

Easier than a string change. I figure that I'd improve by wearing a hat. Beside Jake, I see Aldrine & Jon got them too. My playing totally improved after I bought me a hat. So I have a few hats now. Mix and match with my uke. Some are great for strumming, others for picking pieces.

Could you share a little more info, please? What style, material and color is best for picking?
LoL

The hat idea is awesome! I am in! Hope I don't get HAS syndrome now!!!

Ok, let me make sure I have this straight:

Jake's strings + Jake's uke strap + Jake's hat = ....... still sound like myself. ;)

Yeah I totally need hats before I go to Jamaica to do my thing...awesome suggestion. I think I am going to have JS play all my ukes the next time he is in town too (June?), a la Ed. I guess I need a really good uke for him to open up too. Bring on the HATS!;)

Could you share a little more info, please? What style, material and color is best for picking?
LoL

Definitely a fedora for picking. Any color braid. Add a side feather for high fidelity sound on the first string. Don't ask why but it works for me.

Last edited:
Best thread of the year. No question.

Ok, let me make sure I have this straight:

Jake's strings + Jake's uke strap + Jake's hat = ....... still sound like myself. ;)

No- no- no. You are missing an important ingredient. If you want to sound like Jake, it truly has to be a solitary experience. You can't do it in front of other people. They just don't have the knowledge, the skill, the perception to see the intricacies. Trust me-- put on the hat, the strap, and the strings- stay away from mirrors, and play. Become one with your uke, and you will find the Jake in you.

No- no- no. You are missing an important ingredient. If you want to sound like Jake, it truly has to be a solitary experience. You can't do it in front of other people.

This is true. I find it helps to sound like Jake when I use earplugs while I play.

Top Bottom