New vintage ukulele!

ChrisRCovington

Reaction score
Hello all,

No photos right now, I'm at work sorry. I just got a new vintage ukulele in my collection. It is a 50's era Roy Smeck Harmony ukulele. It is a pretty standard one with the plastic fretboard. The white tooth shaped tuning pegs were mostly (except for one!?) with some old black plastic ones like Regal used. I threw on another black one so it matched. The ukulele is solid mahogany and I was suprised at how thin and light the wood is. It feels like an old Martin a little bit because of the weight (or lack thereof). It did have four very tight cracks from dryness. I was able to rehydrate the uke and work some hot hide glue in the cracks and it is pretty stable now. The seller had Auila string on it which were the wrong strings for the instrument. I put some Martin strings on it and it sounds very sweet and clean. It is also very loud for such a small ukulele. It was $35. Not too bad really. Sounds a lot better than some cheap ukuleles from over seas and has a cool vibe. I only wish it would have been one of the old saprono length "concert" Roy Smeck ukes they made back in the 30's as they are much cooler. Oh well it is a good little instrument and I'm very happy with it. Photos to follow tomorrow or the next day :)

Thanks for the info and congrats on the "new" uke! I often wondered if these ukuleles were any good. I see them on E-Bay all the time.

I have one of those too, and agree they are pretty nice sounding and playing little ukes with fluorocarbon strings. They are a great gateway into vintage ukes! I also have one of the Harmony poplar ukes (in D tuning) of about the same vintage, and it's a pretty good player too.

Top Bottom