Koaloha side to sound board separation.

Hobo

Reaction score
My Koaloha Tenor has developed a seam separation at the upper bout side panel and the soundboard. I'm not sure how to fix it.. I might need to send it back to Koaloha? Not being the original owner and with no original purchase paper work, I'm not sure how they would handle a repair in an older instrument (2003). I'm surprised there are no linings in the instrument -- must be a Koaloha building practice -- which seems odd in a higher-end ukulele. Looking for thoughts and/or advice.

koaloha-separation-72.jpg

My Koaloha Tenor has developed a seam separation at the upper bout side panel and the soundboard. I'm not sure how to fix it.. I might need to send it back to Koaloha? Not being the original owner and with no original purchase paper work, I'm not sure how they handle a repair. I'm surprised there are no linings in the instrument -- must be a Koaloha building practice -- that seems odd in a higher-end ukulele. Looking for thoughts and/or advice.

View attachment 36885
From what I understand- if there was ever a company who will take a repair seriously, it is KoAloha. From all that I have heard, it seems that it is not so much "who" owns one of their babies but It is the fact that one of their babies needs attention and they give it all the love they can. give them a call. they are slow on email but you do get a response eventually- or just give them a call and leave a message.
Better to send to them than anywhere else in my opinion. I had a Kamaka that needed repair and I did not consider anyone other than Kamaka-- and the repair was beautiful. I would expect the same from KoAloha

I would suggest contacting KoAloha. I had the chance to visit their factory and they treated me like family, so maybe you can talk with them first. They do not use linings. Looks like a fairly simple repair for any luthier and it might be easier than sending it to Hawaii.

You folks are right! I contacted KoAloha about the glue failure. They quickly responded that it is covered under warranty, even though I'm not the original purchaser. They said send it back and they'll cover the return postage up to $40. I am very impressed and can confirm all the good comments about KoAloha superior customer service.

My one other thought is that if it is a simple repair with no finish touch up required, it might be less expensive all around to have a local luthier do it...and you would get it done a lot quicker...and you wouldn't have the worry of two way shipping. If it's just the glue joint, then gluing and clamping it is about a fifteen minute job. You'll spend more time talking about it than a luthier would spend fixing it.

My one other thought is that if it is a simple repair with no finish touch up required, it might be less expensive all around to have a local luthier do it...and you would get it done a lot quicker...and you wouldn't have the worry of two way shipping. If it's just the glue joint, then gluing and clamping it is about a fifteen minute job. You'll spend more time talking about it than a luthier would spend fixing it.

Rick, I considered that. Probably could have fixed it myself. Not that I'm luthier -- only several kit builds under my belt. But, since they offered to pay shipping both ways and the fact the clamping would have been more complicated to bring the side in alignment with the top -- I decided to send it back.

This particular uke had been sent to them before by a previous owner in the past for a sound board crack -- which was repaired at the factory and is holding up very well.

Shipping to Honolulu was $40+ and will take 5 business days.

That's what I'd do.

no man, it's still under KoAloha's "Better-Than-The-Weather" warrantee for the rest of it's life no matter who owns it... don't blow that for yourself or any future owner by taking the easy way out, not to mention your resale value should you ever decide to sell it... send it to them now and for all future issues :)

http://www.koaloha.com/customer-service/#Warranty

Although the fine people at KoAloha are willing to fix any of their past ukuleles, and usually under warranty, the warranty itself appears to state that they will fix ukuleles purchased from authorized dealers or KoAloha directly. See link above from their site.

One could stretch this to mean: original purchase as such. But, as stevepetergal has mentioned in the past, when KoAloha has been in existence longer than their current 17 years or so, they will likely need to redefine their warranty unless they want a shop full of "warrantied" ukuleles and spend their time repairing glue failure from 35 year old instruments.

Can you imagine if Martin or Kamaka had a policy like that?

Last edited:
True the warrantee says that, but its a whole different story when you actually talk to Brian, Pat, Griz or Papa... they're just like whatever dude, don't worry about it, we'll fix it and give you $40! Seriously, I think they put that fine print in there just to use when they absolutely need it to protect themselves somewhere down the road. When I first read it I said, "Oh s**t! I didn't buy a humidifier!" and when I spoke to Brian, he just laughed and told me not to worry about it, even if I sell it the next guy that owns my uke need not worry...

I'm a past and maybe still "authorized Martin warranty repairman", and back in the day when I was doing a lot of repair work, Martin did have a lifetime warranty covering workmanship and materials...to the original owner. I once did warranty work...and got paid for...a job on a guitar that was close to 40 years old. Of course there was a whole lot of other work that it needed, too.

Warranties should not cover glue failure due to instruments getting too wet, too dry, or too hot. We just reglued the bridge on a Compass Rose, and there were the tell-tale glue strands from the uke obviously having been left in the trunk of a car in the sun. We charged for the job.

Ukulele arrived today - repair completed.

I sent the ukulele to KoAloha, it took about a week from Ohio to Honolulu. They kept it for a week and it arrived today. The repair is flawless and there was a check for $40 included in the package. KoAloha customer service was fantastic. A truly great organization. I could not recommend them more highly!

I sent the ukulele to KoAloha, it took about a week from Ohio to Honolulu. They kept it for a week and it arrived today. The repair is flawless and there was a check for $40 included in the package. KoAloha customer service was fantastic. A truly great organization. I could not recommend them more highly!

I am glad to hear that it worked out for you. They got a uke of mine three weeks ago and still haven't diagnosed it for me yet, so that is great you got yours back so quickly.

Top Bottom