To bling, or not to bling, that is the question:

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
I'm sure where to start this story, so I'll pick the middle... I'm getting my first custom uke built. I started off with what I thought would be a classy look, a nice curly koa with ebony binding. Then I thought "I would like paua on here somewhere." At first I thought just the rosette. Then I thought the top purfling. Now I am wondering about the top, fretboard, and headstock purfling. Heck, maybe even the back purfling.

So, to bling or not to bling? What are your tastes? I'm torn... I've also found very few ukes with top, fretboard, and headstock purfling. I'm not great at visualizing final product, so if you know of any links to refer me, I'd appreciate it. Mahalo!

Me, I like 'em plain. A thin purfling, fret dots and - at a stretch - a rosette. That'll do me.

Ron - off-topic, but I love the quote about New Zealand. Years ago I had a colleague in Philadelphia from New Zealand. He told me that the first time he tried to book a trip home, the travel agent asked him if it was near Boston. (Bad, bad American!)

I'm sure where to start this story, so I'll pick the middle... I'm getting my first custom uke built. I started off with what I thought would be a classy look, a nice curly koa with ebony binding. Then I thought "I would like paua on here somewhere." At first I thought just the rosette. Then I thought the top purfling. Now I am wondering about the top, fretboard, and headstock purfling. Heck, maybe even the back purfling.

So, to bling or not to bling? What are your tastes? I'm torn... I've also found very few ukes with top, fretboard, and headstock purfling. I'm not great at visualizing final product, so if you know of any links to refer me, I'd appreciate it. Mahalo!
Make it your own....and what is important to you in your design...choose your theme..from your lifestyle and see if the Builder can accomodate it...Like me I would like a blue rosette because
I live on an island and the blue rosette will signify the water around the island and the curly koa signify the waves in the ocean...think your uke out...Only you know what you want...I prefer
mine to tell my story and reflect on me...

Last edited:
Who did you pick as the Builder?

me honestly, I think a minimal amount of Bling gives the uke a little more character, it makes people want to ask, "what does that represent?" or something like that, instead of just "WHOA that is alot of bling..."

but make it your Uke man, it all depends on what you specifically want :)

Go Ahead! So...I'm new to all this, but having a great time. I'm possibly going to be in Hawaii in the fall and I'm thinking of ordering another Uke - a pineapple. I'd love to get something subtle inlaid that would remind me that I picked this one up myself. This is all dream stage right now - but I was surprised at how planning the bling made it more fun!

Personalize it!

Make it your own....and what is important to you in your design...choose your theme..from your lifestyle and see if the Builder can accomodate it...Like me I would like a blue rosette because
I live on an island and the blue rosette will signify the water around the island and the curly koa signify the waves in the ocean...think your uke out...Only you know what you want...I prefer
mine to tell my story and reflect on me...
Nice idea Stan!

Life is all about balance, Grasshopper. Make it your own. But, if you can figure it out, don't put anything on it that you might get tired of seeing (same thinking that keeps me tattoo-free). Remember, the custom builder's name is bling.

I wonder what counts as bling - I suppose it depends on a personal view. I don't think a binding and rosette are bling but pretty much standard fare for instruments like an ukulele. Instruments without binding and a rosette are, in my humble opinion, plain. Not that plain is bad...

Put as much bling as you want. If you're not sure go to your builder (or other builders) website and look at their galleries. See what bling makes you happy.

Personally, I'd definitely do the rosette and front purfling of the body and headplate in paua (probably not the fret board, except the markers and a 3k stripe down the middle).

The real question is, why are you asking us? We aren't the ones purchasing your ukulele, seeing it every day, playing it, loving it, growing with it, and making music with it. Do YOU want it blinged out? If yes, the answer is yes. ;)

Let me offer a different perspective, as a builder it is very important that the degree of decoration of a given ukulele matches the quality of the ukulele. It is generally considered bad form in the lutherie world to bling out a mediocre instrument. If you are thinking of giving it a 5K treatment, the ukulele itself should warrant it. Also,you better have a fat wallet.

Brad

Let me offer a different perspective, as a builder it is very important that the degree of decoration of a given ukulele matches the quality of the ukulele. It is generally considered bad form in the lutherie world to bling out a mediocre instrument. If you are thinking of giving it a 5K treatment, the ukulele itself should warrant it. Also,you better have a fat wallet.

Brad

For my custom, I'm going to have my mon (Japanese family crest) inlaid on the fretboard and that's about it. I was going to also have my initials, but I think having both would look tacky . . . besides, my son may want this in the future and we don't have the same initials but we will have the same mon. The rest of the design with a couple of exceptions for things I know I don't want, will be left to the luthiers discretion. Choose a luthier you trust and admire would be my bit of advice.

Please go to Chuck Moore's website and look at the flamingo ukulele. That is my ukulele. I love bling.
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Top Bottom