Vintage Baritone opinions

Flyke

Reaction score
Attention vintage Baritone lovers! I seek your assistance!

I'm thinking of upgrading from my old harmony baritone and was hoping a few of you might have opinions on various brands of vintage baritone ukes that I see on the 'net.

So... Has anyone played or owned Martin, Favilla or Gibson Baritones? Would you expect these brands to have a brighter clearer sound than my old Harmony? Are they a lighter build than the Harmony? Any difference in sound between these brands? Any difference in body size or nut width? Any other differences you've noticed between those brands? Any problems in buying over the 'net?

Thanks heaps in advance

Mikey

Flyke,
I've owned both Favilla and Martin baritones. They are both built more lightly than the Harmonies, and both are very good. One thing to know about Favilla baris- there is some variation in the body size, and the thickness of the neck. I owned one that had a very comfortable (to me) neck, and another with a much chunkier neck (which some may prefer, but I didn't). I recommend taking a good look at the action before you buy over the net. Some people have strung these up with steel strings in the past, which can cause trouble. If the seller doesn't show good pictures of the action, request some.

I just would like to say that people like the sound I get out of my Bushman baritone. Bushman has a bad name these days but mine is light and the neck is fast. I like it with different tunings and different strings. I play a jazzy rhythmic style with lead lines thrown in. Currently I have a Cuarto tuning with Southcoast strings. My absolute favorite so far.

So my advice, consider what tuning you want, what kind of strings, what kind of music. A good baritone doesn't have to be expensive to get a great sound.

My experience is the lighter the body the better the sound. I have a very light Kanilea tenor. I do love my Bushman baritone also.

Last edited:
I enjoy owning and playing vintage instruments. I too was looking for a vintage baritone.
I noticed significant disparity in the online descriptions. I really wanted to play before I bought and there were just no real candidates in my area.
I was hoping to find an old Vega (Arthur Godfrey) or Favilla, but with no luck. I wound up getting a new solid Kala for less than the average price of a vintage.
Ohana and Kala both make nice ukes in solid mahogany at a very reasonable price. Like Ernie said some of these vintage instruments have been abused through the years.

yeah, a good Kala, Ohana, Mainland with good strings.

Vintage guitar collector here - new to ukulele. I too went searching for a vintage baritone and started where many guitar collectors would start when pursuing a quality vintage guitar - Martin and Gibson. I was not able to locate a Gibson baritone in my price range, but found this lovely Martin baritone for a very reasonable price needing only minor repairs. Can't go too wrong with Martin and Gibson IMHO.

DSC_0079-1.jpg

Thanks for the responses everyone, particularly Ernie - that's exactly the info I needed!

Eyeguy, you have a stunning uke there!

Cheers!

Top Bottom