PDA

View Full Version : Free soprano ukulele>>>>>

MGM
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I will give a free soprano mahogany ukulele with binding and a gigbag to the UU member who can best explain in a little words as possible how to use a digital clip on tuner...remember you are trying to teach someone who has never played a uke before. Also I need permission to use it for instructions when sending them out......FREE UKE FREE UKE all may apply

thejumpingflea
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
What kind of digital clip on tuner?

h-drix
10-17-2008, 02:43 PM
1) clip tuner on to the head of the ukuklele

2) turn on tuner

3) Play each string individually while turning the peg in the direction in which the tuner directs.

4)Once the tuner is directly center move on to next string, repeat.

edit: you are allowed to use these.

deach
10-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Does this person have the internet? Maybe a quick video would be better.

ONYX
10-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Does this person have the internet? Maybe a quick video would be better.

you can't send a video in the package LOL :nana:

i suppose you could send a URL though :P

Bruddah Kekoa
10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
1) clip tuner on to the head of the ukuklele

2) turn on tuner

3) Play each string individually while turning the peg in the direction in which the tuner directs.

4)Once the tuner is directly center move on to next string, repeat.

edit: you are allowed to use these.

J/K - these are h-drix's instructions!

deach
10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
you can't send a video in the package LOL :nana:

i suppose you could send a URL though :P

They have these things called DVDs now.... or you could go old school and tape it.

ONYX
10-17-2008, 03:14 PM
They have these things called DVDs now.... or you could go old school and tape it.

Hmmm....getting an old VCR tape with every tuner ordered would be pretty cool LOL

but not instructional...like one of back to the future 2

MGM
10-17-2008, 03:16 PM
you tub e video entries will be accepted Remeber your instructions are for a newbie How will they now if they are in the right octuve?? how will they know if they are playing the right note. I had someone call me to say its tuning the uke to G# I said keep going down to g They said how do you know g is lower.....see its not that simple....

deach
10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
So you need a Tuning For Dummies -type instructional.

seeso
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
1. Clip your digital tuner to the headstock (where the tuning pegs are) of your ukulele.

2. Turn the tuner on by pressing the ON/POWER button.

3. Pluck your G string (the one closest to you). Your digital tuner should react to its pitch. Turn the tuning peg attached to the G string until the tuner reads G.

4. Fine tune your G string, taking care to ensure that the display turns green. If the display is red, you must do more fine tuning.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 for your C, E, and A strings.

experimentjon
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Instructions:

Turn on your new clip-on tuner and clip it onto the head (top) of your ukulele.

Holding your ukulele as if you were about to play it, (neck facing to the left) begin tuning each string starting from the top. Pluck each string individually and adjust the corresponding tuning peg until the clip-on tuner reads the appropriate note AND the needle hoovers around the center of the display. When the needle is at the center, it means that the note is "in tune."

The appropriate notes for standard tuning on a uke are:
Top string: G
2nd srting: C
3rd string: E
Bottom String: A
(Note: A440 is the accepted standard)

# indicates that a note is "sharp" or "higher pitched"
To adjust, turn the appropriate tuning peg to reduce string tension.

b indicates that a note is "flat" or "lower pitched"
To adjust, turn the appropriate tuning peg to increase string tension.

Enjoy playing your freshly tuned MGM ukulele!

MGM has the right to use my instructions in this post with or without modification...blah blah blah legal jargon.

uke142464
10-17-2008, 04:12 PM
put your tuner on the part of your uke with the tuning pegs on it. hit ON, or POWER. pluck the string at the top of your uke. twist the peg clockwise or counterclockwise until it reads G. fine tune it. repeat this for the rest of the strings but the next string will be c, then e, then A.

uke142464
10-17-2008, 04:12 PM
i used less words...:D i think, you gonna use a word counter? lol

seeso
10-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Instructions:

Holding your ukulele as if you were about to play it, (neck facing to the left) begin tuning each string starting from the top. Pluck each string individually and adjust the corresponding tuning peg until the clip-on tuner reads the appropriate note AND the needle hoovers around the center of the display. When the needle is at the center, it means that the note is "in tune."

The appropriate notes for standard tuning on a uke are:
(Note: A440 is the accepted standard)

MGM has the right to use my instructions in this post with or without modification...blah blah blah legal jargon.

Give that man a uke!

thejumpingflea
10-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Give that man a uke!

I second that motion.

haole
10-17-2008, 05:07 PM
1. Clip your tuner to the headstock of your ukulele (the end of the neck).
2. Turn it on with the Power button. Make sure the frequency reads 440 (this can be adjusted by pressing the Calibrate buttons).
3. Pluck the G or "top" string (the one closest to you). The tuner will display a note. Turn the corresponding peg in order to raise or lower the pitch so that the tuner will display "G". Your ukulele is likely set up so that turning the peg clockwise will raise the tension/pitch, and counter-clockwise will lower the tension/pitch.
4. Turn the peg in smaller increments until the needle on the tuner screen is pointing straight up. If the needle is pointing toward the left, your string is still too low and more tension is needed. If the needle is pointing toward the right, your string is too high and less tension is needed.
5. Repeat for the next string down, this time tuning it to "C". The string following that is "E," followed by "A" (closest to the floor).

Note: Make sure if your instrument is strung for "low G" or "high G" (re-entrant) tuning. In "low G" tuning, the top string will be the lowest-pitched string. In "high G" tuning, the top string will be higher than the C and E strings, and slightly lower than the A string.

Note: Your tuner cannot distinguish octaves. If you have reached the desired note but the string feels unusually loose, turn the peg in order to increase tension until you arrive at the desired note again one octave higher. If the string feels unusually tight and in danger of snapping, turn the peg the opposite direction until you arrive at the desired note one octave lower.

--------------------------------------------------------

I hope this isn't too wordy, but I wanted to address the concerns about octaves.

Tulip
10-17-2008, 05:32 PM
You're still having this problem, MGM? Is it the same person? Or is it many others with no music knowledge who are having problems using a tuner?

Well, let me see if I could help you explain. (later, I mean, hihi.):p

Bruddah Kekoa
10-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Here's my attempt at the tuning instructions. It may be a little longer than you were looking for; however, I think it hits points that would help the newest player understand.

TUNING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three basic tunings for ukuleles depending on which size you use.

All tunings start from the top string and go down:
Soprano, Concert, Tenor Sizes: "C" Tuning = G,C,E,A (Standard tuning)
Soprano Size (Optional): "D" Tuning = A,D,F#,B (Less common tuning)
Baritone Size: "G" Tuning = D,G,B,E

The tuner follows the musical scale, which consists of the first 7 letters of the alphabet, A through G. If you need to tune the ukulele string to a "C" and the tuner indicates the string is currrently playing an "A", you will need to tighten the string until it reaches the "C" because a "C" is a higher letter in the alphabet than an "A". Keep in mind that after the "G" note, the scale starts over again with the "A" note.

Stand alone letters are considered "natural" notes. In other words, when you are tuning your top string to a "G", you need to achieve a G "natural". If indicator says G#, meaning G "sharp", your string is slightly tighter than a G "natural" and you will need to slightly loosen the string to achieve the G "natural". Likewise, when the indicator says Gb, meaning G "flat", your string is slightly looser than a G "natural" and you will need to slightly tighten the string to achieve the G "natural". Simply put, if you are "sharp" you are tuned higher than a "natural" and if you are "flat" you are tuned lower than a "natural" note.

Happy Tuning!

4strings707
10-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Standard Tuning:

G C E A
=====
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

1st---G
2nd---C
3rd---E
4th---A

1.) Clip on the tuner to the headstock

2.) Press the "power" button

3.) Strum the 1st string while watching the display

4.) Tighten or loosen the tuning peg until the tuner displays the note "G".

5.) As soon as the display shows note "G", tighten or loosen until the needle points directly at the middle arrow.

6.) Continue steps 1-5 for the C, E, and A string

*MGM you have permission to use this instruction

Dilphat
10-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Ukulele C-Tuning
GCEA
-Attach Tuner to Headstock
-Turn on
-Strum Top Chord "G". Tweak, using pegs, till proper chord indication shows
-Repeat for the remaining chords.

**MGM you have permission to use.

RON<>VA
10-17-2008, 07:17 PM
1. Take tuner out of box
2. Take instruction sheet out of box
3. Follow instructions step by step

:)

MGM
10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
okay if a newbie got a ukulele that wass way untuned and started to turn on the tuner and look for g he might be a octive to low as most do not tell the pctive you are in. what do you put in instructions to prevent that Say he plucks his g string and its showing e....how does he know he needs to go up or down...to may its simple to use for experienced players.. to the newbie they are clueless maybe a video is the only way. I am asking because i have tuned so many ukes over the phone since their starting point was so way off the clip on was just befuddling them... I get answers like its broke it showing g number# sign....? okay lets start all over slowly//lol

SuperSecretBETA
10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I made a YouTube video for super n00bs so they can actually hear what it should sound like on their first initial tune-up.
Nothing beats hearing the note by audio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrVYo4bIiw

10-17-2008, 07:59 PM
turn on, clip on, strum a string, tune till green, repeat with all strings

permission granted.

Toucan Mango
10-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Instructions: For best results first use a standard GCEA pitch pipe & tune your ukulele by ear. Next clip on your new digital tuner to the headstock and turn it on. Lightly pluck & fine tune one string at a time starting with G, then C,E and A. Check each string twice.

Well I'm as green as they come to the Ukulele & that process worked great for me. I would add a little diagram to the instructions though. Maybe offer a digital tuner/pitch pipe combo in your store for the beginners.

experimentjon
10-17-2008, 09:53 PM
okay if a newbie got a ukulele that wass way untuned and started to turn on the tuner and look for g he might be a octive to low as most do not tell the pctive you are in. what do you put in instructions to prevent that Say he plucks his g string and its showing e....how does he know he needs to go up or down...to may its simple to use for experienced players.. to the newbie they are clueless maybe a video is the only way. I am asking because i have tuned so many ukes over the phone since their starting point was so way off the clip on was just befuddling them... I get answers like its broke it showing g number# sign....? okay lets start all over slowly//lol

Here are some additions. Sorry it's not terribly concise anymore, but any shorter and there would be too much of what my friends and I call "room for interpretation." And things just go south when there's too much "room for interpretation." :rofl:

----------------------------------------------

First-Time Ukulele Player Instructions:

The names for the appropriate notes for standard tuning on a uke are:
(Note: Calibrating the tuner to A440 is the accepted standard, refer to manufacturer's instructions included with tuner.)

Tuning Basics

There are two basic rules for tuning a string instrument:
1) Increasing string tension creates a higher pitched note.
2) Decreasing string tension creates a lower pitch note.

Finding the right note

The order of notes in a scale are A B C D E F G. The scale then repeats, starting over at A again. As you go up the scale, the notes become more high pitched. Conversely, as you go down the scale, the notes become more low pitched. With this information, you can deduce whether your strings need more or less tension. (Ex. If you want to tune your C string, and the tuner currently reads "E," you know that your note is too high pitched because E is above C. Therefore, turn your tuning pegs to reduce string tension.)

Fine tuning for "#" and "b" symbols

If you have a "b" or "#" symbol next to your note (ex. Gb or G#), you will have to fine tune until you reach the "natural" note, (ex. G.)

Double Check

When you are done tuning, your tuner display should not have "#" or "b" symbols next to the note names. Confirm that the notes from top string to bottom string are G C E A. Finally, all of the strings should have approximately the same tension; no the string should feel "loose" when you pluck it, nor should any of the strings have so much tension that it feels like it may snap.

ChamorroDT
10-17-2008, 10:02 PM
NOTE: Before tuning your Ukulele, know what kind of Ukulele it is. Soprano's and Concert's are typically tuned GCEA, Tenor's are typically tuned gCEA (low G string) and Baritone's typically tuned DGBE (like the bottom four strings of a guitar). This doesn't apply to ALL ukulele's, just the standard.

1.) Clip the tuner on the head of the ukulele and click the button labled "power". If it does not light up, then the battery is either a.) put in wrong, or b.) not inserted.

2.) Before tuning, make sure that the tuner is calibrated to 440hz. (The number should be visible somewhere on the screen.) If it is not calibrated to 440hz, click the button labeled "calibrate" or "calib" until the number reaches 440. This number resembles the standard musical pitch for most instruments.

3.) While the tuner is attached, pluck the 1st string (top string). The tuner should show a letter, A through G, resembling it's tune. Tune that 1st string according to the type of Ukulele you have (See note above). On your tuner, you should see a meter line go from the left to the right - You want that line to be centered. If the "#" appears, e.g., G#, D#, then that means the note is sharp - we want neutral (no sign) so it should be tuned down. NOTE: If your strings are newly put on, you'll want to keep tuning the string until you get the correct pitch for that particular string.

4.) Repeat step #3 for each string on your Ukulele. NOTE: If you're tuning an 8-string Ukulele, the first G string should sound higher than the second G string, but both should be tuned to G. Same for the C string, both should be tuned to C. If tuning a 6-string, same applies for G string. The E and A strings are typically tuned the same for both 8 and 6-string.

5.) After tuning the strings, pluck each string again. The tune might be off-center again so you should tune it. If your strings are new, the tune is most definitely going to be lower than it should. Tune away.

FAQ's:
Q: How do I know if my Ukulele is a Soprano or a Tenor, etc.?
A: The size should give it away. Sopranos are smallest, then Concert, then Tenor, then Baritone.

Q: I'm tuning my Ukulele and my strings are new. I tuned it to GCEA, but it still sounds too low. How do I know when I get it to the right GCEA?
A: If you pull lightly enough on a string and it raises at least 1/2 an inch above the hole (more or less), then it definitely needs to be tuned higher. Lightly, don't pull hard. The string should be tight enough so if pulled lightly, should only raise 1/4 of an inch (more or less) above the hole.

Q: I'm tuning my 8-string Ukulele. Can I tune all my strings the same, or do they have to sound different?
A: Your Ukulele. Your preference. Typical tuning for these instruments are stated, but aren't reinforced.

- - - -
You can use these instructions for whatever you please. Even if you don't pick my answer, you can still use them. :D Sorry if it was too much, and the whole FAQ thing. I just explained it the way I explain it to other people, and I can never explain it without getting asked questions. So yeah. there you go.

MGM
10-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Im really leaning towards the youtube...a bit long but it works....that was great supersecret.....

KoloheBoy
10-17-2008, 10:23 PM
My Instructions for the newb:

Clip um on
Turn um on
Turn da knobs till its tuned right
pau.

My name is Koloheboy and I approve of this message =)

SuperSecretBETA
10-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Im really leaning towards the youtube...a bit long but it works....that was great supersecret.....

Cool. I guess I could make a short and to the point version tomorrow. If they don't get it after the short version, I can lead them to the in-depth version.

kitzir
10-17-2008, 11:37 PM
As Simple As I Can Make It.

Step 1. Clip the tuner onto the headstock (that chunk of wood those pegs are attached to).

Step 2. Turn the tuner on.

Step 3. Give the top string a nice pluck. The tuner will display a note.

Step 4. Turn the corresponding peg that goes with that string until the screen displays, in this case, "G". More likely than not you'll have to tune the string to a higher pitch to reach this note, so turn the peg in the direction that makes the pitch higher. More often than not this is towards you.

Step 5. In the center of the screen is the center point, where the needle goes when your string is not only tuned close to a certain note, but exactly on it. If the screen is displaying the note you wish to tune the string to, than tune higher if the "needle" is to the left of the center, and lower if it is to the right.

Step 6. Once the screen displays the right note for that string with the needle on the center, continue to the next string, following the notes G - C - E - A.

Step 7. When you finish, listen online to a tuned ukulele in a video, such as one of Aldrine Guerrero (ukuleleunderground.com). This will help you know if you're in tune. If the tuning of your uke sounds like his, you're good to go. If not, just makes adjustments.

IF you want to use it, feel free permission granted.

p.s. I bought a Kala tenor from you a month ago or so....kicks serious tookahs. :nana:

Bassukuguy
10-18-2008, 12:36 AM
here is my shot...
Standard tuning gCEA
Low G Tuning - GCEA
Baritone tuning - DGBE

1. Clip the tuner onto the headstock of the ukulele

2. Press the "Power" Button on your tuner. Make sure it is set to 440Hz

3. Play a string to see if a note registers, if not re-adjust tuner on the headstock. when you get a reading move onto step 4

4. Play the top string (closest to your face) of your instrument, and move the corresponding tuning knob to bring it into pitch. when the string is in tune the needle will be in the center.*

5. Continue tuning the other three strings in the same manner as the first.

6. strum the ukulele. If it does not sound intune repeat steps 1-4

*Depending how your ukulele is tuned the top string may be in "Low G" or "High G" tuning. if it is low G, that string will be the lowest sounding string on the ukulele.

"I GIVE MGM PERMISSION TO USE THESE INSTRUCTIONS IF HE DEEMS NECESSARY"

SuperSecretBETA
10-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Quick start ukulele tuning video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit8MmHSAOg

MGM
10-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I declare super secret beta the winner,,,,,,,,please email me at musicguymic@aol.com to claim your prize Congrats......

JKoval
10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
1. Clip tuner onto the head of the instrument. The head is "top" with the four knobs. (Make sure it is firmly placed and turned "on!")

(Depending on which "tuning" you would like to use and how out of tune your instrument is, the next steps will vary.)

2. Using "standard" tuning, hold your instrument and pluck the string closest towards you. The tuner should read "G." If it's alphabetically earlier or later, turn the corresponding knob in either direction. (If you have difficulty choosing which string is attached to what knob, follow the string with your finger, up the board, to the knob.)

(If the G is reading as an A for example, turn it "looser" so it reads back to A. In music, the alphabet is A, B, C, D, E, F, G, then back to A.)

3. Using step two as a basis, descend to each string. The String closest to you is G, the next one should read C, next E, and the last string, furthest from you should read A.

4. Enjoy your ukulele!

(You may use my instructions.)

Good luck!

-Jeff

SuperSecretBETA
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I declare super secret beta the winner,,,,,,,,please email me at musicguymic@aol.com to claim your prize Congrats......

:eek: I won?! w00t! This is awesome! I never really won anything before. Thanks MGM! That made my day, and it'll continue to make my day every time I play it.

deach
10-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Good job! Well deserved!

Kanaka916
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Conrats to SSB and a hearty thanks to the members who submitted a tutorial. Since MGM already picked a winner, this thread is now closed.