Free soprano ukulele>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGM

Reaction score
I will give a free soprano mahogany ukulele with binding and a gigbag to the UU member who can best explain in a little words as possible how to use a digital clip on tuner...remember you are trying to teach someone who has never played a uke before. Also I need permission to use it for instructions when sending them out......FREE UKE FREE UKE all may apply

1) clip tuner on to the head of the ukuklele

2) turn on tuner

3) Play each string individually while turning the peg in the direction in which the tuner directs.

4)Once the tuner is directly center move on to next string, repeat.

edit: you are allowed to use these.

Tuner Instructions

1) clip tuner on to the head of the ukuklele

2) turn on tuner

3) Play each string individually while turning the peg in the direction in which the tuner directs.

4)Once the tuner is directly center move on to next string, repeat.

edit: you are allowed to use these.

J/K - these are h-drix's instructions!

you can't send a video in the package LOL :nana:

i suppose you could send a URL though :p

They have these things called DVDs now.... or you could go old school and tape it.

They have these things called DVDs now.... or you could go old school and tape it.

Hmmm....getting an old VCR tape with every tuner ordered would be pretty cool LOL

but not instructional...like one of back to the future 2

you tub e video entries will be accepted Remeber your instructions are for a newbie How will they now if they are in the right octuve?? how will they know if they are playing the right note. I had someone call me to say its tuning the uke to G# I said keep going down to g They said how do you know g is lower.....see its not that simple....

So you need a Tuning For Dummies -type instructional.

1. Clip your digital tuner to the headstock (where the tuning pegs are) of your ukulele.

2. Turn the tuner on by pressing the ON/POWER button.

3. Pluck your G string (the one closest to you). Your digital tuner should react to its pitch. Turn the tuning peg attached to the G string until the tuner reads G.

4. Fine tune your G string, taking care to ensure that the display turns green. If the display is red, you must do more fine tuning.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 for your C, E, and A strings.

Instructions:

Turn on your new clip-on tuner and clip it onto the head (top) of your ukulele.

Holding your ukulele as if you were about to play it, (neck facing to the left) begin tuning each string starting from the top. Pluck each string individually and adjust the corresponding tuning peg until the clip-on tuner reads the appropriate note AND the needle hoovers around the center of the display. When the needle is at the center, it means that the note is "in tune."

The appropriate notes for standard tuning on a uke are:
Top string: G
2nd srting: C
3rd string: E
Bottom String: A
(Note: A440 is the accepted standard)

# indicates that a note is "sharp" or "higher pitched"
To adjust, turn the appropriate tuning peg to reduce string tension.

b indicates that a note is "flat" or "lower pitched"
To adjust, turn the appropriate tuning peg to increase string tension.

Enjoy playing your freshly tuned MGM ukulele!

MGM has the right to use my instructions in this post with or without modification...blah blah blah legal jargon.

put your tuner on the part of your uke with the tuning pegs on it. hit ON, or POWER. pluck the string at the top of your uke. twist the peg clockwise or counterclockwise until it reads G. fine tune it. repeat this for the rest of the strings but the next string will be c, then e, then A.

Instructions:

Turn on your new clip-on tuner and clip it onto the head (top) of your ukulele.

Holding your ukulele as if you were about to play it, (neck facing to the left) begin tuning each string starting from the top. Pluck each string individually and adjust the corresponding tuning peg until the clip-on tuner reads the appropriate note AND the needle hoovers around the center of the display. When the needle is at the center, it means that the note is "in tune."

The appropriate notes for standard tuning on a uke are:
Top string: G
2nd srting: C
3rd string: E
Bottom String: A
(Note: A440 is the accepted standard)

# indicates that a note is "sharp" or "higher pitched"
To adjust, turn the appropriate tuning peg to reduce string tension.

b indicates that a note is "flat" or "lower pitched"
To adjust, turn the appropriate tuning peg to increase string tension.

Enjoy playing your freshly tuned MGM ukulele!

MGM has the right to use my instructions in this post with or without modification...blah blah blah legal jargon.

Give that man a uke!

1. Clip your tuner to the headstock of your ukulele (the end of the neck).
2. Turn it on with the Power button. Make sure the frequency reads 440 (this can be adjusted by pressing the Calibrate buttons).
3. Pluck the G or "top" string (the one closest to you). The tuner will display a note. Turn the corresponding peg in order to raise or lower the pitch so that the tuner will display "G". Your ukulele is likely set up so that turning the peg clockwise will raise the tension/pitch, and counter-clockwise will lower the tension/pitch.
4. Turn the peg in smaller increments until the needle on the tuner screen is pointing straight up. If the needle is pointing toward the left, your string is still too low and more tension is needed. If the needle is pointing toward the right, your string is too high and less tension is needed.
5. Repeat for the next string down, this time tuning it to "C". The string following that is "E," followed by "A" (closest to the floor).

Note: Make sure if your instrument is strung for "low G" or "high G" (re-entrant) tuning. In "low G" tuning, the top string will be the lowest-pitched string. In "high G" tuning, the top string will be higher than the C and E strings, and slightly lower than the A string.

Note: Your tuner cannot distinguish octaves. If you have reached the desired note but the string feels unusually loose, turn the peg in order to increase tension until you arrive at the desired note again one octave higher. If the string feels unusually tight and in danger of snapping, turn the peg the opposite direction until you arrive at the desired note one octave lower.

--------------------------------------------------------

I hope this isn't too wordy, but I wanted to address the concerns about octaves.

You're still having this problem, MGM? Is it the same person? Or is it many others with no music knowledge who are having problems using a tuner?

Well, let me see if I could help you explain. (later, I mean, hihi.):p

Tuning Instructions

Here's my attempt at the tuning instructions. It may be a little longer than you were looking for; however, I think it hits points that would help the newest player understand.

TUNING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three basic tunings for ukuleles depending on which size you use.

All tunings start from the top string and go down:
Soprano, Concert, Tenor Sizes: "C" Tuning = G,C,E,A (Standard tuning)
Soprano Size (Optional): "D" Tuning = A,D,F#,B (Less common tuning)
Baritone Size: "G" Tuning = D,G,B,E

The tuner follows the musical scale, which consists of the first 7 letters of the alphabet, A through G. If you need to tune the ukulele string to a "C" and the tuner indicates the string is currrently playing an "A", you will need to tighten the string until it reaches the "C" because a "C" is a higher letter in the alphabet than an "A". Keep in mind that after the "G" note, the scale starts over again with the "A" note.

Stand alone letters are considered "natural" notes. In other words, when you are tuning your top string to a "G", you need to achieve a G "natural". If indicator says G#, meaning G "sharp", your string is slightly tighter than a G "natural" and you will need to slightly loosen the string to achieve the G "natural". Likewise, when the indicator says Gb, meaning G "flat", your string is slightly looser than a G "natural" and you will need to slightly tighten the string to achieve the G "natural". Simply put, if you are "sharp" you are tuned higher than a "natural" and if you are "flat" you are tuned lower than a "natural" note.

Happy Tuning!

Standard Tuning:

G C E A
=====
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

1st---G
2nd---C
3rd---E
4th---A

1.) Clip on the tuner to the headstock

2.) Press the "power" button

3.) Strum the 1st string while watching the display

4.) Tighten or loosen the tuning peg until the tuner displays the note "G".

5.) As soon as the display shows note "G", tighten or loosen until the needle points directly at the middle arrow.

6.) Continue steps 1-5 for the C, E, and A string

*MGM you have permission to use this instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom