New recording setup + Good Riddance!

philpot

Reaction score
I has decent mic, but no decent camera. nevertheless, I wanted my videos to be as good as they can be for now. So I've got my room setup how I want it as far as audio, frame etc. Thoughts? Also, I'm still playing with the mic to get it jussst right, but it still seems quiet. Increasing the input level ups the noise a lot, so I'm not sure what to do about this. Any ideas? Let me know what you think!

lovely stuff Phil. Your voice is sounding great on this song and your playing is very smooth. Really sensitive performance mate. The better sound quality and especially the volume is very noticeable compared with some of your other clips. What kind of mic are you using?

lovely stuff Phil. Your voice is sounding great on this song and your playing is very smooth. Really sensitive performance mate. The better sound quality and especially the volume is very noticeable compared with some of your other clips. What kind of mic are you using?

Thanks so much! Coming from you I really appreciate that :)
It's an M-Audio "producer" USB mic. el cheapo as far as these things go, got it used for 30 bucks.

Very nice! And yes, increasing the input will get more room noise. My suggestion is to place the mic a bit closer to your mouth coz I think your Kamaka is loud enough to be picked up by the mic even it is farther away from the mic.

I will try that next time! I'm still playing with it, so I'm sure I'll hit on what I need eventually :) thanks!

I've done a fair bit of amateur recording Phil and I just want to echo what William said...try it out and experiment with it for yourself, but my experience is that when you're only recording on one track in a single take, the important thing is to get that mic much closer to your voice, as it *should* pick up the volume of the uke no probs (with a guitar you'd need to be even closer)...but just play around with the distances and work out where the optimum position is for the particular mic you're using.

That said, a $30 mic will sound like a $30 mic pretty much. The goal probably would be to save up and get yourself a nicer one up closer in the $200-500 zone, then you will really notice an incredible difference...to the point you'll sound so good you'll wonder why you're not being paid for your work!!! :p Mic quality is such a huge deal. I have an old mic I used to use with my tascam 4-track and it is junk. I also have one that cost me $450 and the difference is beyond comparison. For yootoob clips I just use a $99 hand held Fuji JX3870 camera which is good enough for what I'm after. But with all that said, your first recording sounded REALLY GOOD man, I'm really surprised you got it so cheap. Well done brother. :)

No comments on the recording, except that it sounds great to me.

I was just listening to this song on the way to work this AM and thinking about looking up some Uke covers. I was really glad to see this posted here. Thanks.

I've done a fair bit of amateur recording Phil and I just want to echo what William said...try it out and experiment with it for yourself, but my experience is that when you're only recording on one track in a single take, the important thing is to get that mic much closer to your voice, as it *should* pick up the volume of the uke no probs (with a guitar you'd need to be even closer)...but just play around with the distances and work out where the optimum position is for the particular mic you're using.

That said, a $30 mic will sound like a $30 mic pretty much. The goal probably would be to save up and get yourself a nicer one up closer in the $200-500 zone, then you will really notice an incredible difference...to the point you'll sound so good you'll wonder why you're not being paid for your work!!! :p Mic quality is such a huge deal. I have an old mic I used to use with my tascam 4-track and it is junk. I also have one that cost me $450 and the difference is beyond comparison. For yootoob clips I just use a $99 hand held Fuji JX3870 camera which is good enough for what I'm after. But with all that said, your first recording sounded REALLY GOOD man, I'm really surprised you got it so cheap. Well done brother. :)

Yeah, I was going to save up for awhile before I got one, but this one came up so cheap, and it's not too shabby, enough to hold me over while I do save for a really good one. My friend has a studio quality mic we use for band recording that's definitely WAY better than this, but that's his ;) I know what you mean, there's definitely a noticeable quality difference, just like there's a difference between a dolphin and a mainland :p I just can't afford something like that QUITE yet. Hopefully soon. What I'm using as a "mic stand" has a few different tiers, so next time I'll bump it up and try it closer to my voice instead of closer to the uke. Thanks again for the tips! I really appreciate it.

No comments on the recording, except that it sounds great to me.

I was just listening to this song on the way to work this AM and thinking about looking up some Uke covers. I was really glad to see this posted here. Thanks.

Thank you very much! It definitely makes a great uke song.

Phil that was a really nice performance, you've got a great set of pipes on you. Well done man.

Thanks! I've been specifically working on vocals for awhile, trying to get better. Ukulele definitely helped, when I started I was absolutely terrible, and now I'm in the "it's not painful anymore" range.

Last edited:
Sounds great. You might be able to get the mic closer and still pick up balanced voice and uke by moving the up high and pointed down. You've got a pretty good balance between uke and voice here, actually, but if you're wanting to get the mic closer and still get that balance I think moving the mic high and pointing down some will help. Worth a try, anyway, especially if you have a boom stand handy.

Sounds great. You might be able to get the mic closer and still pick up balanced voice and uke by moving the up high and pointed down. You've got a pretty good balance between uke and voice here, actually, but if you're wanting to get the mic closer and still get that balance I think moving the mic high and pointing down some will help. Worth a try, anyway, especially if you have a boom stand handy.

That's actually a great idea... I just might try that next time I record a video. Already recorded one other one with an alternative arrangement that sounds decent, so I'll keep playing around!

Top Bottom