gstring ukuleles

hawaii 50

Reaction score
has anyone ordered a gstring from derek lately...if so how do they sound and any advice on buying one?

G-string is no longer in business. I think Derek is still making ukuleles though.

has anyone ordered a gstring from derek lately...if so how do they sound and any advice on buying one?

There are some really sweet used ones that come up for sale from time to time. The 2 used ones I have are great players, with perfect intonation. I understand that isn't always the case. As with any uke, I'd recommend you play one or hear someone play it before you buy one. Puapua had some newer ones a while back. I prefer slightly older ones in a matte finish. Mine are from 2003 and 2006.

Last edited:
Yeah, you see them come up for sale from time to time. I don't think you are currently living on Oahu, but Dan's Guitars has a concert size that I was strumming a little while back. Pretty reasonably priced IIRC.

A moderator should probably move this thread to Uke Talk though...

I just sold my concert g string. theyre awesome ukes. it was suprisingly light, and very responsive. what I would call "a proffesional players" uke. It took really well to instrumental songs, really great clarity. Really warm sounding too. I recommend them.

thanks stan..i live on the mainland...do you know the back story with gstring//why are they not around anymore..i did email eric and he says he is one man shop now??...are the ones that you see from him?? thxs
I played one a few nights ago at Pua Pua Moana...check it out..

G String ukes, my experience

I have had two G sting ukes, both 2007 and both bought used. The tenor was eventually sold, I just liked my Kanile'a K-1 Deluxe a little better - sounded a little sweeter to me (and I have three other tenors, Spanish cedar LoPrinzi, mahogany LoPrinzi, and mahogany 6 string Pohaku). The other G String which I still have is a long neck soprano - standard soprano body with a 15 3/8" scale neck. It is really great and one of my most played ukes and the one I usually take with me when I travel. It is too bad that Derek gave up the business, his ukes were great - immaculate construction, perfect intonation, and sounded great. Maybe just too much bother having a small production shop and dealing with employee issues, etc. I know other folks that have given up a small business to go back to being a one person business - many fewer hassles. In any case, I have never heard or played a G String that most people would not be happy with. And I agree with the comment about the older ones with the satin finish. The newer ones (both of mine) had the gloss UV cured poly finish and I would have preferred the satin finish - the poly finish while thin enough is just a bit too glitzy for me. YMMV.

thanks stan..i live on the mainland...do you know the back story with gstring//why are they not around anymore..i did email eric and he says he is one man shop now??...are the ones that you see from him?? thxs

This is what I've been told from a few people that I trust. Derek was planning on retooling for some new ukes, and then he was injured, which stopped the custom ukes from being made. Production slowed, then stopped. Derek moved to the big Island, and started building again but in very small numbers, and custom models. When I was in Hawaii last year I heard from several shops that he was planning on opening up shop again and making more ukes, not sure when though.

Like Stan said PuaPua gets them from time to time.

mm stan said:
112.jpg

Wow Stan, as I said earlier...that's a nice set of Gstrings ! Do you have Hilo strings on them all?

Here's mine. I've got Martin strings on the soprano, and Hilos on the concert. The Martins sound perfect on the soprano.

Would appreciate opinions what strings other than Hilos might be worth trying on the concert. I like the Hilos, but I am always chasing a better sound.

attachment.php

Wow Stan, as I said earlier...that's a nice set of Gstrings ! Do you have Hilo strings on them all?

Here's mine. I've got Martin strings on the soprano, and Hilos on the concert. The Martins sound perfect on the soprano.

Would appreciate opinions what strings other than Hilos might be worth trying on the concert. I like the Hilos, but I am always chasing a better sound.

attachment.php

Aloha Doc,
I like the slinkyness to the Hilos...for playability...i would stick with martin m600 or warm it up with some Alohi strings....

Thanks Stan. My next string order will include an Alohi concert set (or two).

I have a G-String C-1 Sun concert that I put Worth clears on. (Not in these photos) It is such a well balanced sound, and probably my favorite Concert size uke.

They are lovely ukes, that I think are going to become collectables. I rate them up there with the "K" brands...
Cheers,
Skottoman

gstring1.jpg

gstring3.jpg

gstring5.jpg

I have a G-String C-1 Sun concert that I put Worth clears on. (Not in these photos) It is such a well balanced sound, and probably my favorite Concert size uke.

They are lovely ukes, that I think are going to become collectables. I rate them up there with the "K" brands...
Cheers,
Skottoman

gstring1.jpg

gstring3.jpg

gstring5.jpg

how much does the gstring sun concert cost?

how much does the gstring sun concert cost?

Wow, talk about old threads. You rarely see them for sale and if you can find one, it will probably cost ya. Here's a link from a 10/12 thread to give you an idea what a G-String cost . . . http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/hand-made-ukuleles/gstring-ukulele.html

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?31229-G-String-Ukulele-Closed-down

I don't know how accurate or updated the contact info is buy you can try to contact Derek through his website http://www.gstringukuleles.com/contact.shtml

Top Bottom