Custom Vintage Regal Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hippie Dribble

hi gang,

wow, not many of these around!!! this is a really lovely ukulele. perhaps the loudest and fastest playing soprano I've ever owned. It has that trademark mahogany bark and sweet, warm tones. It's a brilliant uke but, well, what can I say, I'm dreaming of another and with my financial constraints, I must let a couple go. This one is awesome.

Some history and issues:

I am told it is from either the twenties or thirties and was custom built probably for a performer of the era. It has obviously been well cared for as the bindings, headstock decal, body and finish are in immaculate condition.

* It has is a small hairline crack next to the bridge which is stable and does not effect sound or playability. I took it in to be fixed but was told it was unnecessary at this time. It has not altered since I took ownership of it last year.
* the glue on the LHS of the bridge is also starting to give way slightly, so will need regluing at some point. This too is stable though.
* small drillhole at the bottom where an old strap button may have been fitted?
* may have been re-fretted at some point, as the original binding was sawed through in one place and refilled, but this is barely noticeable.
* there is a slight dish at the bridge

so, there are some issues with the uke, the important ones (hairline; bridge regluing) could be addressed by a luthier. Bottom line? It is a vintage instrument with some baggage, as they all have. If you want something pristine then this isn't for you probably, but if you want an incredible sounding soprano with superb volume and great intonation that is a super smooth player's uke, then this could be the one

Some specs:

flamed mahogany body
mahogany neck
rosewood bridge and fingerboard
pearl friction tuners
pearl fretboard dots
ivoroid body, fretboard and headstock binding
headstock inlay in perfect condition
12 frets
worth strings
tweed hardshell case included

This uke has a beautiful low action, huge volume and a very fast neck. It really sounds and plays like a dream.

Some photographs:

DSCF1213.jpgDSCF1214.jpgDSCF1217.jpgDSCF1218.jpg

Sound and video demo:

I am asking $250 for international buyers. $220 for buyers within Australia. Both prices are inclusive of shipping and handling to anywhere. Paypal only please.

Please PM me if you have any other questions about this uke. Cheers all. Thanks for taking a look. :)

Last edited:
My initial thought was you were joking, but Ok, this is probably a serious question as I remember another member having a prob about someone selling a uke from a smoking home sometime last year. For what it's worth, it's coming from a smoke-fee environment and it has that slight, sweet old musty smell characteristic of a vintage uke...nice actually...feels loved :)

My apologies if I have offended in any way. Perhaps it is I who has missed something. Once again my apologies.

My apologies if I have offended in any way. Perhaps it is I who has missed something. Once again my apologies.

he he...no offence at all...just surprised!!! Was the last question I was expecting! Blessings mate :)

AUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!

Money is too tight right now, Jon, or I would be all over this. The mojo on this uke is too much. Sigh.

:iwant:

Thankyou for the kind words lads, it's a lovely uke and I wonder if I will regret this ...I've held onto it longer than all the other really expensive ones for a reason, but it's just time unfortunately. I'm hoping someone will be keen on her. Cheers guys.

Dang...I spent all my coconuts...I want this, there will probally never be one like this again...vintage high end
customs are very hard to come by....

Aloha Bruddah Jon,
Wow, wish it were a concert. I dunno, maybe could be my second soprano? ( 1 Ohana PK-25).
Anyway, good luck with the sale..............................BO.........................

Howdy Bruddah Bo and Bruddah Stan, thankyou for your kind comments about the uke fellas :)

Does it have the bowed back like one I used to have? Is there a label inside? love the mahogany they used on these, if it has a slight cigar smell could be Cuban, the mahog I mean.

folks, please check the original post. It has been updated with some extra info on issues re the uke as well as lowered prices.

I bought this on ebay last year and will include it as a link here.

At request of another member, I will also do a video demo this afternoon so I can show the exact issues in more detail.

Bottom line...it's a vintage uke with some baggage of course, but it sounds incredible. If you have access to someone that does minor repairs this could be a great uke for you. It is also a very rare model.

If it doesn't sell within a few days I'll send it back to ebay I guess. Thanks everyone for reading.

Does it have the bowed back like one I used to have? Is there a label inside? love the mahogany they used on these, if it has a slight cigar smell could be Cuban, the mahog I mean.

yes mate, bowed back. no label.

na, thinking about this further, i'm going to withdraw it from sale and send it straight to ebay. i feel terrible that I didn't list these other things in this original post. I have looked at others just now, similar, but with worse issues and less detailed bling that are selling for less than what i'm asking. When I bought it I paid 350ish dollars plus shipping, which cost 60 bucks, so I am looking to recoup as much of that outlay as I can.

As shipping international from here costs close to $100 these days, I would do a deal with anyone interested and sell international for $225 flat charge including shipping. Let me know if you are interested via PM. I will close this thread for now. Apologies if I have misled anyone. It is a great uke but I have a bad taste and feel I should withdraw. If no-one wants to take her I will send her to ebay, thanks all.

Last edited:
I'm interested in your uke but I can't seem to PM you (or anyone else). How can I contact you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom