Uke Riffs?

beginnerukeman143

Reaction score
I've been noticing lately that a lot of people can just pick up a uke and play some riff or something I've never heard, with a melody and everything...

so do people practice for the "yeah this uke is awesome. and here's how it sounds *insert riff here*" or do people really just do improv like that?

or can I not do it just because of my lack of musical experience?

hi Nathan, I reckon it's just lack of experience. Once your fingers feel the way round the uke and you get comfortable with it's unique tone and the way the notes fit together, your ability to improvise will increase rapidly, but it takes time, that's all. My experience is that players who are skilled at improvised playing have a wealth of experience in music...it's all about practice. After awhile you will develop an instinctive feel for what works, but lots of hard work in between.

You may also find this book helpful as a starting point...

http://www.amazon.com/101-Ukulele-Licks-Essential-Bluegrass/dp/1423482646

Last edited:
I found that as I learned more songs fingerpicking many of these melodies became automatic "improv" licks.

hi Nathan, I reckon it's just lack of experience. Once your fingers feel the way round the uke and you get comfortable with it's unique tone and the way the notes fit together, your ability to improvise will increase rapidly, but it takes time, that's all[/url]

yeah, i haven't been fingerpicking for very long. so any suggestions on songs that would help my improv?

Well, improv and memorizing riffs from songs are quite different. You can sit down with a tab for a riff, like the intro to Aldrine's tutorial of "Out Of My League" and then just whip it out any time as a neat little piece to play. True improv soloing means memorizing scales, figuring out which parts of the scales to play, and how to string it together into cohesive "music"... and then doing it. Right there, on the spot. I can't improv very well, but I've got quite a few riffs up my sleeve I can whip out if need be ;)

that sounds like a much better idea haha, because I've had multiple people be like "so what can you play?" and i have to say what i can play... and that is just really awkward lol

so yeah, I want to learn some riffs I guess.... haha

so yeah, I want to learn some riffs I guess.... haha

buy Lil Rev's book mate. It'll help you big time...seriously, it'd be a great place to start and it's only 10 bucks. You'd start to get a real feel for how the fretboard hangs together. Some books on theory are complicated...this isn't one of em, it's great :)

I'll second him and also say to check out Ukulele Hunt for some basic riff tabs, stuff people will recognize like Crazy Train, that kind of thing. Also Aldrine's free lessons! Can't beat em! The picking part to the songs is usually pretty cool, and the way he breaks it down makes it easy for anyone to learn.

buy Lil Rev's book mate. It'll help you big time...seriously, it'd be a great place to start and it's only 10 bucks. You'd start to get a real feel for how the fretboard hangs together. Some books on theory are complicated...this isn't one of em, it's great :)

I wish I had the money, all my current money is going to my Mya Moe savings :p

I got a book of 1300 scales. I was checking out the modes and improving on that was great fun.

1300 seems insurmountable; but, they are related to each other so it won't be as montrous to try. As always, its all about teaching and repetitive training and then the fingers just find the positions.

Top Bottom