Disappointing New Uke Day -- Dolphin edition

Lideruke

Reaction score
So I have a couple road trips coming up and thought I'd get a beater ukulele to take along. I went to Sam Ash and picked up a Makala Dolphin. I've read great things about them here.
I started playing it, having a good time just playing a handful of chords. Then I started playing down the neck a bit, and the strings sounded off, especially the C. I broke out my Snark and found that most of the frets aren't right, the resulting notes are almost all sharp.
I'm new to stringed instruments. But I still find it hard to believe this is something that will change over time, right? So then I have to ask if this is just how Dolphins are or if the one I bought just needs to be exchanged.
Please let me know.
Thanks

There is another active thread about this subject.
You chould check it out.

My flea is a great travel uke.
Just sayin'
:)

You should definitely see the other thread. From what I've read on these forums, you at least want to upgrade your strings.

Just sayin'

I'll second that! Not that I have one, but I do know that the Fleas and Flukes with a plastic fretboard (PCB or whatever) are always spot on with perfect intonation etcetera because there's no human element in producing the fretboard. That is, no blind monkey on the production line like the one that obviously put your Makala together!

I hope to be getting a Fluke soon and when I do it'll definitely be one with a plastic fretboard for that very reason. Also I hear that they don't use simians on the production line at the Magic Fluke Company.

Cheers,
Ash

My Dolphin (red) is the cutest thing I own, but I never play it.
You get what you pay for.

If fretting the strings pulls 'em sharp, the bridge saddle and/or the nut are too high.

SNIP... I went to Sam Ash and picked up a Makala Dolphin. SNIP... So then I have to ask if this is just how Dolphins are or if the one I bought just needs to be exchanged.
Please let me know.
Thanks

Just responding to the snippets above. Take it back to Sam Ash; get your $$ back & don't buy another uke there or just about any other big-box store! Instead, but one from one of the dealers here on UU that will properly setup the uke which will fix exactly the description of yours. Uke Republic, MimsUkes, Hawaiian Music Supply are a few of the most reputable. I've own & have owned several Makala Dolphins & w/o proper setup (as when bought out of the box from Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Amazon, etc.) they aren't fun at all or barely musical. They HAVE to be properly setup or they are most discouraging!

Mahalo & hope you get a better sounding beater soon!

I would look at this as an opportunity to learn how to do a set up , it is not that hard . Do a search on this site for "action" and "setup" and also look at Frets.com.

I got mine from Sam Ash too. This is my uke for learning how to do set up and general tweeking. A drop shipped or non set up Dolphin is very hit or miss. Mostly miss. Buying one already set up by a reputable dealer makes them a decent CHEAP uke. As Nickie said you get whatyou pay for.

I think Pukulele Pete and haymak make a good point.

I am a total noob. Got a dolphin a couple months ago and learned about it while working on the nut and saddle and changing strings. I know a lot more now than iif I had started out with something already set perfectly.

I also know enought to have a pro do it from now on. But that is a valuable lesson in its own right, IMHO

Take it back to Sam Ash; get your $$ back & don't buy another uke there or just about any other big-box store! Instead, but one from one of the dealers here on UU that will properly setup the uke which will fix exactly the description of yours. Uke Republic, MimsUkes, Hawaiian Music Supply are a few of the most reputable. Mahalo & hope you get a better sounding beater soon!

Big box companies will stop selling ukuleles as soon as they think the craze has died down. If everyone buys from big heartless corporations, then small operations that actually know something about ukuleles will be forced to close and in the end the ukulele community will end up with fewer choices.

Thumbs up Hoosierhiver..
I worked in a small bikeshop and had to compete with the big sporting good stores.
The only way to compete with the large volume dealers is to offer something extra.
Namely service and knowledge of your chosen trade. This proved invaluable to us. And frequently brought us
business and sales from the bigger retailers. Much like The Mike's and Mim and many other dealers here on UU.
Please do support your Friendly Local Music Store. If they don't carry what you need go to any of the Mikes or any other reputable dealer here. But please do support your local shops. They need your business and you as a customer benefits from having them there.
Just my two cents..

So I have a couple road trips coming up and thought I'd get a beater ukulele to take along. I went to Sam Ash and picked up a Makala Dolphin. I've read great things about them here.
I started playing it, having a good time just playing a handful of chords. Then I started playing down the neck a bit, and the strings sounded off, especially the C. I broke out my Snark and found that most of the frets aren't right, the resulting notes are almost all sharp.
I'm new to stringed instruments. But I still find it hard to believe this is something that will change over time, right? So then I have to ask if this is just how Dolphins are or if the one I bought just needs to be exchanged.
Please let me know.
Thanks

I've dallied with the Dolphin, and have to admit I don't honestly see the reason for all the raves. But, considering it is a $35 instrument, I suppose one shouldn't really be too surprised to find that there are some issues with it. As a simple, safe, beat-the-heck out of it uke, I don't suppose you could go easier or more affordable. But that's about it.

There is another active thread about this subject.
You chould check it out.

Just sayin'

Yeah, but weighing in at nearly $200, not only should people be upset if the intonation is way off, but it sort of moves beyond that demographic of "cheap beataround uke" :)

Well, it's sitting in my car right now, and will be returned to Sam Ash once I'm off work.
Lesson learned. I've returned 2 ukes to them already. :mad:

The Dolphin is a $35 uke, it is never going to be a great instrument.
I have a few and with a little bridge/nut work and new strings it is playable.
I have donated many of them to kids programs as with the plastic body they are durable and kids love the colors.
There are many ukes in the sub $100 dollar price that are much better learning instruments.

Big box companies will stop selling ukuleles as soon as they think the craze has died down. If everyone buys from big heartless corporations, then small operations that actually know something about ukuleles will be forced to close and in the end the ukulele community will end up with fewer choices.

I hope soon that now that I have some learning, I can get my budget in line to support some hard-working small business in the heartland.
Maybe not by June 1, but soon soon I hope. I'm even selling some drums to support the new habit!

I would look at this as an opportunity to learn how to do a set up , it is not that hard . Do a search on this site for "action" and "setup" and also look at Frets.com.

Yep...in fact I'm using my DD (disappointing dolphin) for some videos on setting up an inexpensive uke to at least be playable.

First one is up, I'll post links when all of them are done.

I bought a KA-S with a canvas kala hard case,tuner and set up and delivered from HMS a year or so ago. Great little uke with aquillas already on it good intonation ,plays fine $95 . much better value to me , it was for my grandson, no regrets. The ka-15 is even less expensive! Why buy a toy these are both real instruments.

I bought a $20 at toys r us and I liked the sound a little bit better than the dolphin. Intonation is way off at the 12 fret but it's good for my kids and for me to take to the beach

Top Bottom