Worth Clears have Transformed my uke!

fretie

Reaction score
My Worth clear strings came in the mail today! I couldn't wait to switch out the original Aquilas on my BI koa concert uke for the new Worths. And what a surprise I got as I started to play the new clears. The ukulele was transformed!

It went to from a rather modest, pleasant and quietly sweet voice to a confident, full, clear glorious tone. I could not believe the transformation; I just could not have imagined strings could make such a big difference.

To be fair, I did respect and believe what others on the forum had to say about strings changing the sound of their instruments but somehow I thought that it couldn't happen to me. But really, the Worths have taken my little koa to a whole other level. I am loving it! :D

When I got this little Big Island uke, I was rather expecting a slighter smaller version of my spalted mango tenor BI which has a full, rich and warm sound. The little koa was a slight disappointment with its very reserved sound. I did like the bell like quality to the sound but I had to have my ear close to pick it up. And I kept feeling that there was just something lacking and had to admit that I thought it was volume that the uke needed.

The Worths do sound louder but that's not what strokes the ear, rather it is, hummmm... a little hard to put into words....but a combination of brighter and fuller at the same time.

Anyways, I'm thrilled and feel like just this mere change in strings has created a whole new ukulele - what a pleasant surprise!

Glad they worked for you! Strings can make a big difference. Worth's are my favorite and have used them for several years now after trying everything under the sun on high end and low end ukes.

Awesome! I like Worth, although they're not always my top choice they're always something I try on a new uke.

Aquilas aren't the best strings if you have a good uke. They're great at enhancing the tone of laminate instruments, but if you have a quality solid instrument then they're going to be too bright and thin (typically). I love CF strings.

You should give Savarez Red a try your next string change. They have given my Pono a whole new dimension.

I ordered two sets and will be trying on an islander concert and kamaka concert. I've always been an aquila faithful but wanted to try something different.

I originally wanted to order Worth clears, but couldn't find them so I ended up with browns and loved them. When I finally got clears, I decided I liked the browns better anyway. So definitely consider them in the future.

I know there are a lot of Aquila fans here, but I just don't really care for them much. To each their own.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and order a couple sets or worths, the new maton is a bit too soft and mellow, beautiful sound dont get me wrong, but i would like to have it a touch brighter, so the aquilas may have to take a back seat on that instrument.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and order a couple sets or worths, the new maton is a bit too soft and mellow, beautiful sound dont get me wrong, but i would like to have it a touch brighter, so the aquilas may have to take a back seat on that instrument.

Do it. You won't be sorry.

I want to give the Worths a try on my ANueNue tenor. Where do you guys buy your strings on line?

I want to give the Worths a try on my ANueNue tenor. Where do you guys buy your strings on line?

I get them from Elderly.com but their shipping is high so I usually get at least three packs when I order.

Yes, I got mine at Elderly too but their shipping is really unreasonable - $10 - so I will not order from them again.

There's a world of difference between Aquila Nylgut strings and good Fluorocarbon strings (like Worth), and each has its own application for individual ukes and players.

I would describe the tone of Aquilas as drier or crisper than fluoro. As has been stated before, I find that they can bring a lower-end uke with a non-solid or overbuilt top to life in a way nothing else can.

Worths and other good fluorocarbon strings have a richer, wetter tone that can bring out the bell-like ring in a good solid top (or even a well-designed laminate top like Flukes and Fleas). Not more mellow or softer - in some cases they're actually louder - but definitely more complex.

My Mainland cedar has had Aquilas, Fremont Blackline (fluorocarbon) and now Ko'olau Mahana (some sort of monofilament) strings on it, and they all sound different. Currently I'm most fond of the Mahana strings on this instrument. I wouldn't think of using anything but Aquilas on the Dolphin. (I bought my latest batch from Hawaii Music Supply and found the shipping VERY reasonable - like actual postage.)

There's a magical formula that only you can figure out. Every string likes certain instruments. Every instrument likes certain strings. Every player likes the look, feel and sound of different strings on each instrument.

Top Bottom