How do you guys do it? moving to a new uke? plus need advice on a pickin a pono

ICMB

Reaction score
Ive been playing uke for about 6 months just stuck with playing chords I like not much of a song person kinda made my own ones but my uke isnt the best quality and as im graduating in a month I feel that the time is right to move to a real uke but everytime I am about to buy my new one online I get nostalgia and play my old one and its kinda hard to move on I dont mean to seem weird being attached to my uke but its just kinda hard :S. and I will probably only be able to take one to Uni at the moment at least so its very hard xD

and the thing I wanted to ask was what is the difference between the Pono AT and the Pono ATD gloss because I stuck between both but it really is at my limit of money so I was just wondering.

im stuck between picking the Pono AT (maybe ATD depends on the difference because of cost) and the Kala KA-ASAC-T ive seen them in person tried them out and i prefer the pono but the kala just looks better and plays almost as nice and from what ive read they have a good reputation.

The difference between the Pono AT and ATD is the Gloss finish, which I prefer.

The Kala KA-ASAC-T is also, a very popular model which has the nice Slot Head. All three are very good quality solid Acacia ukes so, I would pick the one that you like best and comes with a set up.

AT has rosewood fretboard and bridge, ATD is ebony. The finish is the main difference.

Why the big price difference? its just gloss (sorry for my ignorance xD)

More labor involved to apply the Gloss Finish.

Masking, wet sanding the orange peel and several stages of buffing with different pads and compounds to achieve a smooth shiny finish.

My experience with Pono has been nothing short of fantastic. I like Kala, and I'm sure their Acacia tenors are great because of all the rave reviews of them everywhere....but my Pono koa tenor looks, feels, and is finished like a Hawaiian-made ukulele. I can't say enough about Pono.

Personally, I like the gloss finish. A lot of people feel like it dampens tone somewhat, but I've been playing guitars for 15+ years and ukulele for about a year and I personally have never heard a significant difference between gloss and satin finishes in identical instruments. And sure, some manufacturers like to cake on the finish and just cover the whole thing up in a thick coat of plastic, but I haven't seen that in ukuleles yet. Pono especially seems to use very thin gloss finishes that not only look fantastic but don't affect the tone of the great wood they use.

I'd go with the ATD if I were you. I prefer Koa where possible, but Acacia is fantastic as well (as I've been discovering with my KPK soprano). No matter what wood you choose, where Pono shines is the craftsmanship. They're slightly heavier than some other builds, but the sound is phenomenal!

My experience with Pono has been nothing short of fantastic. I like Kala, and I'm sure their Acacia tenors are great because of all the rave reviews of them everywhere....but my Pono koa tenor looks, feels, and is finished like a Hawaiian-made ukulele. I can't say enough about Pono.

Personally, I like the gloss finish. A lot of people feel like it dampens tone somewhat, but I've been playing guitars for 15+ years and ukulele for about a year and I personally have never heard a significant difference between gloss and satin finishes in identical instruments. And sure, some manufacturers like to cake on the finish and just cover the whole thing up in a thick coat of plastic, but I haven't seen that in ukuleles yet. Pono especially seems to use very thin gloss finishes that not only look fantastic but don't affect the tone of the great wood they use.

I'd go with the ATD if I were you. I prefer Koa where possible, but Acacia is fantastic as well (as I've been discovering with my KPK soprano). No matter what wood you choose, where Pono shines is the craftsmanship. They're slightly heavier than some other builds, but the sound is phenomenal!

Just the response I was looking for! thank you :)
Ive ordered the ATD from the ukulelesite :) cant wait till it arrives! I initially was looking for a Koa uke but I have not tried any in person so I went for the acacia wich isnt it very similar wood to koa?

If there was a reputation system I would give rep+ great reply :)

Ive been playing uke for about 6 months just stuck with playing chords I like not much of a song person kinda made my own ones but my uke isnt the best quality and as im graduating in a month I feel that the time is right to move to a real uke but everytime I am about to buy my new one online I get nostalgia and play my old one and its kinda hard to move on I dont mean to seem weird being attached to my uke but its just kinda hard :S. and I will probably only be able to take one to Uni at the moment at least so its very hard

Don't sweat it. You don't have to buy a new ukulele. If you're still enjoying your ukulele, play it. Simple. There may come a time when you begin to notice the cheaper instrument's shortcomings, and then it'll be natural to acquire a better one; but until then, just enjoy your first love.

Don't sweat it. You don't have to buy a new ukulele. If you're still enjoying your ukulele, play it. Simple. There may come a time when you begin to notice the cheaper instrument's shortcomings, and then it'll be natural to acquire a better one; but until then, just enjoy your first love.

Im noticing the shortcomings and its annoying but idk first time in years i have been dedicated to an instrument so its kinda hard :p

Top Bottom