Buying a New Uke... Is this One Good?

I've never played Ibanez before but it sure is purtty! I'd go with anything from Kala personally but that's just me. Good luck on your search!

Hmmmm. It's pretty, but for $150 you can get a solid uke. If you're OK with buying used you can get a good solid uke.

I'd check out HMS,Uke Republic, and MIMs for starters. You could also check in with Mike at Mainland to see if he has any seconds.

Good luck.

This sounds very promising, but unfortunately I know nothing of what you are talking about haha... care to elaborate for a newbie?

My honest opinion is you won't notice three-times better a uke for the three-times more expensive tag.

There are a LOT of very good ukes in the $175 - $250 range. I know that's a bit more than this $150 uke, but in the grand scheme of things, you'll be much happier.

Also, I'd avoid the temptation to run with Musician's Friend, Music123, GC, etc. They may offer decent prices, but they're just these giant warehouses. A better bet would be to contact one of the sellers who are regulars here like MGM, HMS, Mim's, Uke Republic, Mainland, Puapua, etc. These folks will steer you to the best possible value for your budget, and (I think all of them) will also set the uke up so you don't have problems with action, intonation, etc.

Another option would be to check out the Marketplace here for a great deal on a used uke.

Take this post for what it's worth.

I played one of those at Sam Ash just yesterday and didn't like it. It does look really nice, though.
I have to agree with connor, get a Mainland. They're a little more expensive but I couldn't be happier with my soprano. I think it cost around $225.

I think most of us would rather see you purchase your uke from an actual uke dealer, not from a big-box shop like Musician's Friend. The biggest reason is that when you purchase from a uke dealer your uke gets a setup from someone who actually plays the uke and genuinely wants you to be happy with your purchase.

The setup means that someone checks (and perhaps even levels and polishes the frets), and adjusts the height of the nut and the bridge saddle so that the instrument plays comfortably and in tune up and down the neck. (Shorthand - they make sure everything works the way it should.) Big-box dealers will sell you the uke exactly as it came from the factory, and the setup is often substandard.

For $150 you should be able to get a really nice uke from a reputable dealer. I think you will be happier in the long run.

Mim's Ukes
Hawaii Music Supply
Uke Republic

Kala and Lanikai are good uke companies and have models within your price range. Check the marketplace here on this website for a good used uke (many will be in your price range). If you see something you like, look for that model on YouTube for a sound bite/review. And my last 2cents-stick with the dealers mentioned in the above posts-you will be getting your monies worth and a uke that is set up properly. Good luck and don't feel rushed to make a purchase.

I think most of us would rather see you purchase your uke from an actual uke dealer, not from a big-box shop like Musician's Friend. The biggest reason is that when you purchase from a uke dealer your uke gets a setup from someone who actually plays the uke and genuinely wants you to be happy with your purchase.

The setup means that someone checks (and perhaps even levels and polishes the frets), and adjusts the height of the nut and the bridge saddle so that the instrument plays comfortably and in tune up and down the neck. (Shorthand - they make sure everything works the way it should.) Big-box dealers will sell you the uke exactly as it came from the factory, and the setup is often substandard.

For $150 you should be able to get a really nice uke from a reputable dealer. I think you will be happier in the long run.

Mim's Ukes
Hawaii Music Supply
Uke Republic

Hi RockPidgeon, That is a beautful uke. I myself would have it setup for sure after purchase or as the good Rev suggests, take a look at some of the uke vendors listed in his reply. I'm looking at Mim's site for my next inexpensive uke. Here is Mim demo-ing several budget ukes, check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wex6hFl0rFo Good luck and lets have pics and sound samples when all is said and done, please.
Don

ps:Oh yes, definitely check hourly on this boards Market Place. Many good deals from uker to uker! d

Last edited:
You could also aways go for a Flea or a Fluke. I have a Mainland red cedar tenor that sounds fantastic, but I can't put my Flea or Flukes down. They're virtually indestructible, sound cool, and the intonation and setup are impeccible.

It might be best to stay away from an Ibanez Uke. They are not a ukulele company as most of their sales are in guitars. They attract buyers with the looks of their products but sound and performance generaly suffer. Often times reviews on Guitar center, Musicians Friend etc. are from people who just bought their first uke or left a postive review right after getting their ukes in the mail so their positive reviews may not really reflect the truth. Consider the suggestions of the other people here regarding other brands. There are better quality ukuleles to had for the same price or less. Those may not sparkle like the Ibanez does but in the long run you will be happier. Also if you can't actually go see your ukulele in person to try it out, try to find an on line vendor who offer a set-up on their products.

Jim

I owned one for a time.
It is very pretty and very quiet - almost dead sounding.
A good choice if you live in an apartment and don't want to annoy the neighbors.
I think you can do better in that price range.

I totally agree with RevWill.

I played one, not great sounding....you can get a laminated Kanilea Islander or Kamoa for this price, Ohana, several Kalas (those Kala exotic mahoganies are a good sounding uke with some "bling." All of these will sound much better than that Ibanez (cool looking though). If you really love it, save up for the Ohana CK75 that Ken Middleton uses as his primary uke.

Hey RockPigeon, welcome to UU!!

I can think of a few different ukes for $150 that would sound and play better than the Ibanez...I've played one and it was very average. HMS (Hawaii Music Supply...www.theukulelesite.com) is a great resource and you can find a solid wood instrument that plays fantastic and sounds amazing. A $150 budget can get you a whole lot of uke, if you look for the right thing. Don't look for looks, look for solid woods and a free setup (HMS gives you a free setup).

I bought a Koa Pili Koko soprano ukulele for $180. I bought the deluxe version, you can buy the standard or pineapple for $150. That's another option, as is Ohana and Mainland.

In addition to HMS, check out Uke Republic. Mike is a great guy and will work really hard to get you something quality at a good price.

Good luck!

Top Bottom