Need advise for my new W. A. Wixom concert

fan1322

Reaction score
I have reserved a spot on Willie's production schedule. My uke is expected to be produced at Nov. Willie asked me to think about how a few things in the mean time. There are two things that pizzle me:

1) width @ nut, 1 3/8, 1 7/16, 1 1/2
2) Neck thickness Thin, Medium, Thick

I have small hands with short, thick fingers (for your reference, my middle finger is 8cm long). Does a narrower nut means a narrower neck? Would a narrower and thinner neck help my playing? Any advise is welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
Also, the body would be koa and the fretboard would be ebony. I really like high contrast so I intend to go for ebony for body binding. Any recommendations for fretboard binding? Thank you.

The difference between 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 is not a big one, but it's true that some people strongly prefer one over the other. I have a Kanile'a concert and Pohaku tenor with the 1 1/2 width. I also have a couple of ukes with 1 3/8 width. As I have played, the difference is not something I notice any more. Have you had a chance to play other ukes? Do you have one or two now? Some folks like the slightly wider neck for finger picking individual notes and strings, but, again, that is possible on any size neck. Comes down to: does it really make a differene to you?
Same for the neck thickness: over time I've discovered that it doesn't affect me that much.
Just based on your hand measurements, I would say go for 1 3/8 and thin or medium thickness. But YMMV. :)
Check out ukes you can hold and play well and measure them: got a local store?
Good luck.
My wife got a Wixom soprano that is wonderful. You are in for such a treat!

I would try to get your hands on a few different ukuleles to compare. Your hand size does not always dictate your preference. I had a pono, which had a fairly wide nut and a covered bridge that is very narrow. One was perfect for strumming one perfect for finger style. So i would play around with a few different types of ukuleles and see what feels right. i know some guys with tiny hands who would never play a guitar with a thin narrow neck. its preference.

A standard nut width doesn't have to mean a thin neck, but I don't know how he builds. I used to think I preferred a thin neck but no way. Too hand-crampy for my taste. As for nut width, I'm in that camp that no longer really has a preference.

But nice contrasting binding? Gotta be maple all the way! Maple and koa, with maple binding on the fretboard against the ebony? Yum!

I would try to get your hands on a few different ukuleles to compare. Your hand size does not always dictate your preference. I had a pono, which had a fairly wide nut and a covered bridge that is very narrow. One was perfect for strumming one perfect for finger style. So i would play around with a few different types of ukuleles and see what feels right. i know some guys with tiny hands who would never play a guitar with a thin narrow neck. its preference.

Our ukes are 1.5 at the nut. Yours has a thin neck not a narrow nut.

sorry, poor description by me. Regardless i plays awesome but each neck definitely has a unique feel to it and some may like what another hates.

Aloha fan1322,
Every one has their own preference.
My daily player has a 1 5/16 nut width with a thin neck profile. That said, my upcoming Wixom will be 1 3/8 with a medium neck thickness.
A 1 1/2 nut is okay for me as long as the neck profile isn't fat like a certain K that I know.
If you can try out different ukes, you'll have a better idea of your taste.
In any case, good luck and congrats on your Wixom, mine is next month.....yaay................................BO..............

If you have short fingers..I'd go with a thin profile and 1 3/8" nut...it will be easier for you if you are a beginner
true everybody is different and may have their own preference....try some ukes in the music store and bring
something to measure the nut and neck thickness...keep in mind C or D shaped neck profile too..

I'm with Stan and 808boy : Thin neck.
The wider spacing of 1.42 or 1.5 inch widths is nicer for fretting with thicker fingers.

Top Bottom