Accompaniment to Fingerstyle?

fretie

Reaction score
I'm just learning some nice fingerstyle solos, mostly Hawaiian melodies. My wife also plays the uke but not as obsessively as me! :D She'd like to accompany me when I play the fingerstyle but we are not quite sure what would suit...simple chord strumming perhaps? :confused:

Any suggestions?

My fairly uneducated guess is that if the melody somehow fits the scale of a typical key, then you could pick the chords for that key and have her strum along.

This is a HUGE question. It's sort of asking, "How do you accompany one part with another?"

Short list:

Chords strummed
Chords picked (arpeggios)
Counter-melody (not overly related melody which goes well with yours, but not in complete time)
Harmony (melody which goes in parallel to yours, more or less completely in time)
Bass line (focused on the chords but trying to create a melody based on chord/root notes)

This question has got musicians thinking and working for at least 1000 years, and doubtless more. Play around. Find out what you like.

:)

unless you're doing some really fancy riffs and non-melody related fingerpicking, just have your wife
play the chords to the song.

Check out Taimane Gardner and her accompanist doing Tico-Tico, on YouTube and you'll see that the
guitarist simply strums Tico-Tico while Taimane does her thing.

keep uke'in',

OK, sort of a big question....my bad...

But I do appreciate your replies, some really good ideas here - thanks!

Top Bottom