WTB: Good Ukulele around $150

RockPigeon

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been playing Ukulele for a little over a year no, however I only own a Lanikai LU-11 which isn't much more than something to mess around with.

I'm looking for a good Uke in the $150 area, and many forum members directed me here. I will obviously research before I buy anything and get other opinions. If anybody would be interested in helping me on my search I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Drew

Lot's of choices there. Do you want to stick with a soprano or try something else?

Your best bet is to contact one of the fine uke vendors that hang around UU (Mim, Uke Republic, Mainland, HMS to name a few) and let them guide you to figure out which would suit you best.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Vanflynn's right on with the vendors.

In your price range, though, I'd add Koa Pili Koko to the list.

Good luck.

I have an nice koa Oscar Schmidt OU5Ewhich could be rehomed for 175. As nice as it is, it is no match for Giannini 10EL. If you would like to know more--see pictures, send me a PM,please.

Could somebody please link me (or something) the names of some good sellers here? I know you posted their names but I am having trouble finding them.

As an International Business/ Japanese Major, this is beautiful to me.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/luna-concert-great-wave-ukulele.html

Now for the advice: Is it just eye candy? Is it worth the money?

(Also, thank you connor and everybody else.)
The Luna are hit or miss, but not much of an upgrade to the LU-11. I would wait around and browse the market place here and see what comes up. that is your best bet. the KPK that was mentioned is another nice uke also

You guys can always check out the Luna High Tide Tenor I put up earlier on this forum, it really is a serious instrument.

The Luna are hit or miss, but not much of an upgrade to the LU-11. I would wait around and browse the market place here and see what comes up. that is your best bet. the KPK that was mentioned is another nice uke also

MAINLAND #1.jpgMAINLAND #3.jpgMAINLAND #2.jpg

Drew
Mainland standard soprano mahogany w/ rino hard case $175 + shipping or $150 + shipping w/o case (Like NEW)
Cordoba concert solid Koa (2007) w/ vintage case (Clapboard) $185 + shipping (Excellent Cond)
Jamie Woodburn UkeOG

Last edited:
Have you compared other ukes with your Lanikai? I keep my Lanikai baritone in the office and have really come to appreciate its sound in a small room and its overall playability. I'm not certain a new $150. instrument would be much of an improvement because it is likely to be a laminate like the Lanikai. A used solid top instrument might be available on this site however. (like the two OG offered above)

Hi Drew,
How about the uke I just put up for sale tonight...The new Vineyard Long Neck Soprano for only 150.00 shipped. You can't beat it.....solid mahogany top back and sides for under 200.00. This uke is very playable and it really sounds great w/ the solid mahogany body. Check out the youtube video/sound sample I've included w/ the listing.
Good Luck to you in your search,
Uke Mama (Vicki)

Hi Drew,
How about the uke I just put up for sale tonight...The new Vineyard Long Neck Soprano for only 150.00 shipped. You can't beat it.....solid mahogany top back and sides for under 200.00. This uke is very playable and it really sounds great w/ the solid mahogany body. Check out the youtube video/sound sample I've included w/ the listing.
Good Luck to you in your search,
Uke Mama (Vicki)

I am interested in this, but I've never played on a long neck before. What's it like? Is it a big transition if I've only ever played on a regular soprano?

Also, mike, I do enjoy my Lanikai but it's ismply getting beat up. For instance, the ring around the hole (pro uke terms right here) was chipped off by my finger hitting it not even a month after I got it. It's just not a higher end uke.

I'm not selling mine - but I'd recommend the Ohana CKP-70. It's essentially a copy of the Harmony Vita Uke. It lists most places online for $150, and I bought mine used but in new shape from a fellow member here for that price with a gig bag. I bought a second model from Elderly Instruments for the same price for a friend. I can't say enough good things about this ukulele, and they all boil down to superior tone. It has the best tone of any uke I've tried at the price, and I tried a lot of them. I like mine so much, I sprung for the $75 hard case that Ohana makes for them. Perhaps not a cost-effective move, but it keeps the uke safe and I'll keep it for a long time.

I'm not selling mine - but I'd recommend the Ohana CKP-70. It's essentially a copy of the Harmony Vita Uke. It lists most places online for $150, and I bought mine used but in new shape from a fellow member here for that price with a gig bag. I bought a second model from Elderly Instruments for the same price for a friend. I can't say enough good things about this ukulele, and they all boil down to superior tone. It has the best tone of any uke I've tried at the price, and I tried a lot of them. I like mine so much, I sprung for the $75 hard case that Ohana makes for them. Perhaps not a cost-effective move, but it keeps the uke safe and I'll keep it for a long time.

I completely agree. Before I received my Koaloha pineapple yesterday, all of my ukes were basically in the same price range, and the Vita uke outshines them all (minus the koaloha, of course). The Vita uke is what made me switch from classical guitar as my primary instrument, to ukulele as my primary instrument. I adore it.

ETA: I really like my KPK, too! I think it's an excellent value as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom