Which pick-up???

UK Paulie

Reaction score
Ok so I'm needing to pick a pick-up so to speak to go into my soon to be ukulele. Question is, which pick-up should I go for? The builder has told me to research them so this is part of it! Does anyone have experience of more than one? Anyone know what the pro's use? I seem to remember fishman matrix is in Jakes ukulele, I'm also considering K&K twin spot, LRbaggs 5-0 and Mi-si. Which sound is the truest (is that even a word?) You guys know what I mean right? Any advice gratefully recieved. :)

"LRbaggs 5-0 and Mi-si. Which sound is the truest".....supposedly, 5.0 is a ukulele dedicated pickup and should be a little bit superior to the MiSi (first cousin?)
A custom, go for the one you think you'll be happiest in the long run. Lots of great sounding ukes out without either of those pickups, but installation costs will be about the same whichever one you chose. Good luck...talk to luthier about top, wood, expected tone(s), etc. He should be able to give you some insights based on what you expect from your instrument.

I have Mi-Si's in my ukes. Haven't heard the 5.0. The big thing is what comes after it. Once I got the Baggs paracoustic DI, everything came together tonally, and I feel like I can handle almost any amp/PA situation (and board operator) that comes along.

I have Mi-Si's in my ukes. Haven't heard the 5.0. The big thing is what comes after it. Once I got the Baggs paracoustic DI, everything came together tonally, and I feel like I can handle almost any amp/PA situation (and board operator) that comes along.

Ok, whats the baggs paracoustic DI?? I'm hopeless at this stuff. Doesn't the mi-si come with an LRbaggs? I'm a bit confused by it all to be honest. I've seen a couple of reviews on these, one demoing the mi-si in which the guy says it comes with an LR Baggs and another comparing it to an LR Baggs???? Is it a newer version with the 5 0?

"LRbaggs 5-0 and Mi-si. Which sound is the truest".....supposedly, 5.0 is a ukulele dedicated pickup and should be a little bit superior to the MiSi (first cousin?)
A custom, go for the one you think you'll be happiest in the long run. Lots of great sounding ukes out without either of those pickups, but installation costs will be about the same whichever one you chose. Good luck...talk to luthier about top, wood, expected tone(s), etc. He should be able to give you some insights based on what you expect from your instrument.

Thanks Phil, much appreciated mate.

I just ordered an LR Baggs 5.0 so I should know how it is when it comes in and I get it installed. I had my guitar man order it and he will install it for me. All my acoustic guitars have LR Baggs in them and I really like them. I'm expecting the same from the 5.0 hopefully. I haven't decided which uke to start with. I was going to get 2 and put one in my Kamaka HF-3 and one in my Bluegrass Low G tenor but I thought I would see how I like the one before ordering anymore and I'm going to start with the HF-3. I'll reply back on this thread as soon as its ready and let you know what I think.

Para DI is a preamp but the Misi and 5.0 should have a built in one. However, the Para DI is nice because it has EQ functions and control feedback, brilliance, volume, etc. It's about $160 so that means you are spending about $300 just for the equipment.

I have a Fishman Prefix Pro in one of my ukes and I like it because it controls similar things like the Para DI directly on the uke. However, you need a uke that is deep enough to fit and it's heavy cuz it uses 9V battery. The weight doesn't bother me as the uke rests on my lap when playing sitting down and use a strap when standing. I wouldn't recommend it as it's about $300 so unless you are performing and need direct control, it's too pricey in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to post a thread for advice on which uke to put my pickup in.

I got to meet Daniel Ho last month and I asked what he used and he told me Mi-Si because of its convenience. I don't think he is sponsored by them.

As far as the truest sound, Pepe Romero claims "the best is made by Schertler, it's the Resocoil model. It is a tiny microphone that is glued to the underside of the bridge. It produces a perfectly natural sound. Also it does not hurt the sound of the ukulele when played un amplified. It is very light weight as well." The problem is the price of the pickup is $400.

I guess it is up to you and what you are doing with it. For my custom I chose a Mi-Si. If it's good enough for Daniel and affordable, then that is good enough for me! I will never go on tour, so I should be fine...

Wow, great find ukuloonie! I was under the, apparently mistaken, assumption that the only difference between the LR Baggs and MiSi was the capacitor vs. battery issue. MiSi even advertises that they use the LR Baggs element. Does anyone have further information on the differences?

Wow, great find ukuloonie! I was under the, apparently mistaken, assumption that the only difference between the LR Baggs and MiSi was the capacitor vs. battery issue. MiSi even advertises that they use the LR Baggs element. Does anyone have further information on the differences?

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the replies. Secondly, as Tigeralum2001 said i was under the impression that the mi-si was inclusive of an LR Baggs and I have seen reviews where just that is stated. Its a bit confusing so if anyone has any definitive explanation of this it would, certainly by me, be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know what Kalei Gamiao uses? I know technique, a droolworthy custom kamaka and the brazilian rosewood/bearclaw sitka spruce top all contribute but that guy sounds spectacular plugged in. I know leads have alot to do with it too, all the pro's seem to use similar leads. Any contribution to this subject welcome!! Cheers ukers and keep ukein!

Hello Uk Paulie
Did you see this review of Misi and the L.r. Braggs?

an interesting review

Hi ukuloonie, yes I was looking at this just last night too. The Baggs 5.0 does sound alot better and clearly has more output than the mi-si in this video. I saw a review of just the mi-si too where it sounded alot better than it does in this video so I guess its either the installation or, and probably more likely, the fact that youtube videos don't give the truest sound. Really helpful though so thanks mate.

The thing is though, LR Baggs changed their pickup strip that MiSi now uses also. The difference is still the preamp. But the comparison in the video is not completely accurate because MiSi is now using the new pickup strip that is much shorter. The transducer before from LR Baggs that MiSi used was really long and had to be tied up inside or harnessed in some way. This whole strip acts sort of like a microphone and with the extreme excess created feedback easier and a "woofy" tone. So now MiSi is better also. The new trio. I prefer the LR Baggs but there is not much difference. What you come from and go into are bigger factors and both are excellent systems. I tried the schertler and it was very true. I have not heard it in a live situation cranked up so the mic aspect I wonder about. But it may be great. I used to do sound for many uke shows and certain passive pickup with the individual crystals (pono and kanilea make one) going through a Baggs preamp (the Para or even better the Venue) was my favorite because active pickups can be a bit "thumpy". That was pre 5.0 though.

Anyone do James Hill/Craig Chee style percussion? I have a K&K twinspot in my MP custom, and that picks up all sorts of contact noise. And is great for the percussion. I was wondering about MiSi's in terms of picking up bashes, tweaks and thumps.

Input much appreciated.

:)

I was told today that KoAloha used to offer a choice for pick-ups, but that LR Baggs is now their only option. I am torn. I love the theory behind the MiSi (no batteries), but the sound of the LR Baggs was clearly better. I wonder how the battery mount and volume/tone switches affect the unplugged sound? The old 9V battery systems made ukes sound like crap unplugged and it made the uke unbalanced. I'm sure a 3V button battery solves the balance issue, but you have to mount all of that junk somewhere. Surely that affects acoustic sound in some manner. Also, changing a small battery must be hard unless it is also mounted near the sound hole.

Are there any MiSi reps on this board? I'd love to learn more.

The thing is though, LR Baggs changed their pickup strip that MiSi now uses also. The difference is still the preamp. But the comparison in the video is not completely accurate because MiSi is now using the new pickup strip that is much shorter. The transducer before from LR Baggs that MiSi used was really long and had to be tied up inside or harnessed in some way. This whole strip acts sort of like a microphone and with the extreme excess created feedback easier and a "woofy" tone. So now MiSi is better also. The new trio.

Not sure who you get your Baggs from, but I custom order mine with a shorter element pickup. I even custom ordered everything unattached (but that's only for dealers), but now they have an `ukulele version with shorter everything.

I'm still not sold on the capacitor or the 3v batteries. Its still the Element Active for me, and even better through a Para DI or Venue.

Aaron

Not sure who you get your Baggs from, but I custom order mine with a shorter element pickup. I even custom ordered everything unattached (but that's only for dealers), but now they have an `ukulele version with shorter everything.

I'm still not sold on the capacitor or the 3v batteries. Its still the Element Active for me, and even better through a Para DI or Venue.

Aaron

Ditto what Aaron says. I have that exact setup. (Element Active and Para DI). They are awesome together.

Ok, whats the baggs paracoustic DI?? I'm hopeless at this stuff. Doesn't the mi-si come with an LRbaggs? I'm a bit confused by it all to be honest. I've seen a couple of reviews on these, one demoing the mi-si in which the guy says it comes with an LR Baggs and another comparing it to an LR Baggs???? Is it a newer version with the 5 0?

In addition to the things mentioned above about using DI's, or direct boxes, is the added control in live situations I alluded to with PA board operators throwing you the occasional curve ball in the mix. Even when you ask that they keep you "flat" (i.e. no added EQ) on your input channel, sometimes the entire board's master EQ is tweaked for the room or whatever, and with the Paracoustic, I've found it pretty easy to "undo" some unwanted tones. I'm curious to hear the 5.0's, though. I have the earlier version.

Top Bottom