Good theory books

To me, "music theory" is very different from simply "reading music" (or what I think you actually mean...learning the notes on the uke fretboard). For the latter, just googling "learn the ukulele fretboard" should give you lots of sites to explore.

For me, the best books I have run across for explaining music theory in terms I could deal with are the two volume series "Music Principles for the Skeptical Guitarist" by Bruce Emery (http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/). Of course, I was attempting to play the guitar when I first ran across them but I think they'd apply to the ukulele too.

Good luck,
Doug

I agree about the difference. Reading music is only part of music theory, sort of like how learning to read English is only part of English grammar and composition.

For learning to read, the Lil' Rev ukulele method books sort of gently walk you through reading as part of learning how to play the uke in general. If you already have a lot of experience playing the uke, a lot of it might be too basic for you, but still...

For overall theory, including but not limited to reading, check out "Music Theory for Dummies".

JJ

I'm in that club with you. It sounds like what you want isn't a theory book, but a method book. If you want to read music using the uke, then what you need is a book that teaches music reading, using small exercises that build in difficulty, teaching both the uke and music notation at the same time. I can't think of an instrument that DOESN'T have tens or hundreds of these books to choose from. Ukulele? Zero, nada, zilch, none.

I would love love love an ukulele method book. Not one that taught freaking tabs but that actually used music exercises to get that muscle memory going, each building on the last.

If you want a bit of music theory, I've heard Ukulele for Dummies might have some. Nothing replaces a great theory professor with a horrible sense of humor though. :)

Top Bottom