Maker's Block

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Anyone else suffer from this? A pile of work but no focus to get it finished despite the bills piling up. Off to the beach to try some course correction therapy...

Anyone else suffer from this? A pile of work but no focus to get it finished despite the bills piling up. Off to the beach to try some course correction therapy...
Me too Pete..half a dozen sopranos started but I can't be bothered to work on e'm..I'm more interested in restoring my new lathe and going out cycling at the moment.

Sounds like you both need a long holiday.

A good therapy is a change of activity that uses different senses and different parts of the body. Set a specific length of time you will not go into the shop (or even think about it!) so you won't feel guilty for not being there.

Good: Cycling with long views, swing dancing (or learning it), gardening, hiking & rock climbing, playing sports, teaching kids something fun

Not so good: Ant farms, scrimshaw, toothpick ships, small-parts machining

I'm not a builder, but a writer and I sometimes feel this way when I'm working on a novel. I just gave a Getting Unstuck workshop at a writing conference and recommended that experimenting with another creative outlet can charge you up for the task at hand.

Of course, my other outlet is the ukulele and that might not work for you . . . maybe you want to try writing a novel for children?

Once or twice a year Pete. I usually have a look around the shed and try and fix something up that needed doing. Making new storage, etc. Still kind of hard to get motivated at times though.

Wish my rough patches at work were like this sometimes. Mine usually involve lots of meetings, crying, arguing and even the occasional lawsuit.

Aloha,
Maybe I'm one of the few who looked forward to work (retired H.D. Diesel Truck Technician-35 years). But when I could, my other passion was fishing. It seemed like my two passions balanced out each other.
My career required a lot of brain work (trouble-shooting), my hobby required thinking in terms of a fish (where I'd hide, what to eat, etc., etc.
Find something that relaxes you and soon you be back in the groove...............

Top Bottom