The Nerdiest Uke

Skitzic

Reaction score
I am transforming one of those 'Heavy Metal Ukuleles' off the evil bays into...

...wait for it...

A Klingon ukulele. Yes, a Klinguku.

Why would someone do this you ask? Well, it is very simple. I married a nerd. He dresses up like a Klingon and goes to comic cons and what not. He has been bugging me to go with him for a long time...finally I said ok..but only if I can be a ukulele playing Klingon. Much to my surprise, he agreed. This got all kinds of ideas floating around my head, and let's face it...we are all looking for reasons to buy new ukuleles.

So, it begins. :D I'm actually kind of surprised how acceptable this uke is. The nut is high, the strings suck, and there are some finish issues here and there...but it is perfectly acceptable for a $40 uke.

Here are the before photos. Tonight, the finish comes off.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/Skitzic/The-Nerdiest-Uke/

Sanded the finish off last night, the black went on today. Now it's sunning itself. :)

Cool! Looks like a prime candidate for Klingonization..... Well Done!!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

I think those ukes are cool looking to begin with. I can't wait to see what you do with it from here.

I will give a little teaser for what is to come...

Metal spikes
LED lights
The color red
Sparklies
And I've been kicking around the idea of fake fur. That may push it over the edge though...can't have a gaudy Klingon ukulele after all...

Today I realized I kind of suck with a spray paint can. Like, kind of really suck. I think I should have waited to paint until I could get to my friend's house with the nice air brush, but I can work with it. :)

If you could make a Uke/batlith (sp? The weapon) you would be the envy of all federation members!

Looking foward to seeing it with some LED lights.

The lights have been installed. It's not the nicest cut in the back. I hit a brace. I didn't cut through it so I'm not worried about the structural integrity, but it's kind of a rough cut. That's why I did it on the back though. Put the LED's inside with double sided tape. It actually worked out that I hit the brace, I used double sided tape to put the piece I cut out back on. :)

523757_10150795785064336_740434335_9128990_1507327247_n.jpg

I'm very jealous on two fronts:

1. You have a ukulele that looks like it was made by the Klingons.
2. I am also a nerd, but I've never found a partner who was so accomodating of my interests.

Nice work. :D

Last edited:
It looks great! I so cannot wait to see you in costume with it.

Hah. That's going to take a bit of time yet. I haven't even started the corset yet...gotta fix the sewing machine first. That will start as soon as the uke is done.

That is going to be a hell of a cool looking Uke'. Of course, a simpler plan might have been to wear just a guitar strap and tell everyone you were playing a Cloaked Romulan Ukulele.

Semi off topic thread hijacking mode, I created an Alien version of the game "Operation" (if anyone remembers that) for a competition a while back. Maybe see if you can get someone to make it for real.

operation.jpg

That is going to be a hell of a cool looking Uke'. Of course, a simpler plan might have been to wear just a guitar strap and tell everyone you were playing a Cloaked Romulan Ukulele.

Semi off topic thread hijacking mode, I created an Alien version of the game "Operation" (if anyone remembers that) for a competition a while back. Maybe see if you can get someone to make it for real.

View attachment 37610

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Love it!

Top Bottom