Okay. Where can I bury my head in the sand...Hawaii....land of ukulele fails record

MGM

Reaction score
Well. What can I say....it was promoted well ....had the greatest Hawaiian ukulele players all donating their time and efforts...but where was everyone.?.....I would think with all the great names performing for free we locals would show up....well that's island paralysis setting in...we are figure someone els will show up and it would be a snap to break the record...I feel for the volunteers and organizers.....
On a happier note....this was to raise funds for the music foR life foundation and that we did do.....my sincere thanks and best wishes to all who made this happen...

Ho, Bruddah Mike!

Sorry fo hear about da poor turnout! AUWE!!! Disappointing fo shua!!! I feel so sorry fo all da volunteers and organizers and also fo all da uke players donating their time and efforts with the impression of breaking da record!

At least funds were raised fo da Music for Life Foundation!:shaka:

Aloha Mike,
For the second time, I missed the event by days. Wish I could have been there for support. Maybe next time.....

Maybe the people of Kaneohe are inured/bored/apathetic to the ukulele?

My suggestion is to hold it next year in the uke-crazy NorCal Bay Area. With a roster of uke professionals like that, you'll sell out of tickets in no time.

Sorry you missed the mark. At least some kids will get a chance to play the ukulele that otherwise wouldn't. Hopefully those kids will be there next time you try for the record!

This reminds me of an article a while back where a couple of the old blues greats (B.B. King might have been one of them) were lamenting that there was simply not much interest in the black community in blues any more. They were talking about how most of the newcomers on the blues scene who were moving and shaking the genre were middle-class white kids - Clapton, SRV, Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheperd, etc.

Maybe the roots of ukulele is moving to Canada, Thailand, and Japan? :)

Sorry the record effort didn't come off, Mike. Maybe there was a good NASCAR race?... :)

John

Actually, Sweden holds the current Guinness Book of World Records for largest ukulele ensemble. Go figure.

I believe the count last night was 1,296 players. It is impossible to describe sitting among that many people playing the same chords under the direction of Jake S, so I won't try. After the fail was announced, he consoled us by playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

So far on YT I've seen a couple posts from the days entertainment:
Kalei Gamiao demonstrating his rhythm skills as a back-up for Ryo Saito http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61PKQFfVQ7E

Sungha Jung's set

At the end of this you can see Aldrine embrace him as he comes onstage. I hope someone puts up Aldrine's performance. He opened by playing the intro to Senor Viktor behind his back (gasp)!

Mike, If I had been on the Islands, I'd have come!

Why not try for the record again during this year's Roy Sakuma Ukulele Festival? Many of those same players are likely to be scheduled again and lots of folks from outside of Hawaii are sure to attend as well.

Mike,
It was nice to see you there. I was slightly disappointed in not making it but the music was great, really exciting energy, and it was free. Maybe next year, there ought to be more energy put out to the schools. There was only one real performance by a school and it would be great for the numbers. Well worth it anyway. Glad I went.

Aloha Mike,
Like Chuck, I have not heard of it too...was it advertised to the media...as I didn't see anything..maybe
they need to do more of that...

Khon gave it a bit of coverage, but localmana is right- the schools are the way to go. If the event had been across the street at McKinley high school on a weekday there might have been enough students to break the record at an all school assembly!

Khon gave it a bit of coverage, but localmana is right- the schools are the way to go. If the event had been across the street at McKinley high school on a weekday there might have been enough students to break the record at an all school assembly!
Mckinley High School students sounds like a great idea right next to the Blaisdell..they can just walk over..

Last edited:
Aloha Mike! Next time they should resurrect "PURE HEART". Call Jon, and Lopaka and we'll break the record easily!

Aloha Mike,
Like Chuck, I have not heard of it too...was it advertised to the media...as I didn't see anything..maybe
they need to do more of that...

Really Stan? I'm in Illinois and heard about it :D Next time I'll shoot you a message to keep you in the loop ;)

It's disappointing but maybe next time. I agree that the ukulele festival day would be a perfect candidate to do it again.

Top Bottom