Fan Fret Ukulele?

stevepetergal

Reaction score
Does anyone make one? Has any of the builders out there thought about in?

I've made a couple in the past. Took forever to sell them. I think they scared people. Their sound was good, but since it was a tenor scale uke, there wasn't much to be gained sound wise.

Fan fret guitars certainly scare me. Seems like there would be a major adjustment required to play one of those if you're used to playing guitars with standard fret spacing.

Ralph Novak gave me one of his first fan fret guitars to play at gigs, it was surprisingly easy, didn't take any special technique or anything... it's just that to me the intonation improvement was minimal enough as to be outweighed by the cost of labor and custom parts.
I also played Mike Marshall's fan fret 10 string mandolin, that was pretty cool because with all those strings it did make a noticeable difference... not sure if it really all that necessary for an uke though..

The reason I asked is, the first time I saw a fan fret guitar, I thought "What a great idea!" Looks to me like it works with the way the wrist actually moves. Looks easy to play. Ergonomic.

I built a six string six course mando guitar a while back. It was tuned (low to high) F, C, G, D, A, E, and the only way to pull off that spread of pitches with that many strings was a fanned fretboard. It worked remarkably well, even though the scale was short for the low F and long for the high E; it would have been impossible without the fanned fretboard. Ralph Novak did the fretboard for me. That was one of those instruments that I hated to part with. It would have been a life-time keeper if my client hadn't paid me for it!

I've played quite a few fan fretted guitars and even with the more extreme spreads, they aren't hard to get used to at all.

My slight feeling is that on ukes, the benefits may be less due to the shorter scale lengths involved.

I've played quite a few fan fretted guitars and even with the more extreme spreads, they aren't hard to get used to at all.

My slight feeling is that on ukes, the benefits may be less due to the shorter scale lengths involved.

Less, but still benefits?

Top Bottom