Mandola Tuning on a Tenor Uke

Rick Turner

Reaction score
My son asked me what strings to use to tune one of our Compass Rose tenor ukes into mandola tuning, C, G, d, a. The scale length is right, and all you have to do is combine a couple of normal tension strings from a classical guitar set with a couple of extra high tension classical guitar strings. I sent him some sets of normal, high, and extra high tension D'Addario strings, and this is what he came up with.

The low C is an extra high tension 5th string
For the G use a normal tension 4th string
Next for D is an extra high tension 2nd string
And for A...either a uke A (1st) or a classical guitar normal 1st string

This puts you in mandola tuning which is an octave above cello, and it sounds glorious. His mom, a former cellist and current author and guitar teacher, is thrilled as well as it is perfect for her voice.

Thanks, Eli!

that's cool to know, I have been playing mandola for a few years and I love it... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't what you got there basically a tenor guitar? maybe a mini tenor guitar :)

Yes, that's what you have...a short scale tenor guitar with nylon strings. And with a taropatch it would be a nylon string mandola.

It's Glorious!

I am now calling this musical hybrid a vio-lele and it has the easy and warm heart of the uke and the scale playability of a viola. The notes are identical.

If you want the joy of carefree strumming and chording on the uke but the tuning in fifths and the tonal range of a viola, this arrangement is so liberating.

Thanks to Eli, our thoughtful son, and to my wonderful former husband for this instrument that lends itself to gorgeous voicings and simple playability! It's hard to put down....

Jess

My son asked me what strings to use to tune one of our Compass Rose tenor ukes into mandola tuning, C, G, d, a. The scale length is right, and all you have to do is combine a couple of normal tension strings from a classical guitar set with a couple of extra high tension classical guitar strings. I sent him some sets of normal, high, and extra high tension D'Addario strings, and this is what he came up with.

The low C is an extra high tension 5th string
For the G use a normal tension 4th string
Next for D is an extra high tension 2nd string
And for A...either a uke A (1st) or a classical guitar normal 1st string

This puts you in mandola tuning which is an octave above cello, and it sounds glorious. His mom, a former cellist and current author and guitar teacher, is thrilled as well as it is perfect for her voice.

Thanks, Eli!

Welcome to our forum, Jessica. Aloha.

Pleased to be with you

Welcome to our forum, Jessica. Aloha.

Mahalo, GeeTee! I have been hearing about the wonderful tribe of ukulele lovers for a long time and am glad our family brought me on board. Peace, Jess

The low C is one octave below middle C on the piano. Thanks for asking an EASY question. :) Jess

Hello Rick, Jessica & Eli,

Your formula should work. Along with our ukuleles, we make 4-string classical guitars. The bigger we call the Plectrum, even though the scale is 650mm. We have a string set to tune it in 5ths - our "G650 Linear String Set in 5ths". It's tuned to G - D - a - e' (Octave Mandolin) on that instrument, and as we note on our site, it sets up in c - g - d' - a', or Tenor Guitar tuning, if you want to put it on a standard Tenor Ukulele.

You can save yourself a bit of trouble and get a set from us. The selection is nicely balanced and the wound strings are durable and polished for less squeak.

Welcome, Jessica - great to have you here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom