Syracuse, NY Ukulele and Ice Cream Therapy

Doctroid

Reaction score
The Greater Syracuse (NY) (USA) School of Music organized a “ukulele sing-in” this afternoon. There were about 35 people there by my count, maybe about a third of them absolute beginners, a few accomplished enough to stand up and perform a song or three. That included four members of a reported 20 or so in the Fayetteville-Manlius high school’s ukulele club, who did Leonard Cohen’s “Alleluia”. Other than that there was someone teaching enough basic chords to get through four songs, and then a fifth song for those who already had some uke playing experience. Someone brought a bunch of ukuleles and related stuff from their store in Rochester. (I was good; I didn’t buy anything.)

So they’ll be running a series of “Ukulele and Ice Cream Therapy” sessions on Wednesday nights this summer, meeting at various ice cream stands and playing together. Which strikes me as a great concept. It’ll be interesting to see where this goes.

The learning sessions are under way... first one was last night. I didn't count but I think there were about 15 of us there. Mostly beginners, a few more experienced, one of whom led the group from square 1, C and G7 chords, adding in F later and getting us through four songs. The group meets Wednesdays 6:30-7:30 at the First Baptist Church on East Seneca Turnpike (outside of Syracuse heading toward Jamesville), each week through June 20, and then at various ice cream stands starting June 27.

Sounds like fun - too bad it is more than a 2-hour drive to get there from here, or I'd try and make one.

-Kurt​

First Ukulele and Ice Cream Therapy session last night at Sno-Top in Manlius. It went pretty well! It was pretty windy but we set up in the lee of the building and I didn’t bother with music, just mostly worked from memory and occasional peeks at someone else’s.
There were lots of people there who seemed to enjoy what we were doing. To some extent we were probably benefiting from the coattails of four young newsmakers living just down the road:

By later in the evening there was a video of us up on syracuse.com. You can just manage to see my orange cap behind the other people on the left.

Ice cream review: Apparently they have only soft-serve here. I had a small chocolate cone, which was entirely unmemorable. And small, which might be a good thing if you’re trying to be good. The next size up only costs about 40 cents more so might be the better buy.

I'm. With kurt..maybe you guys need a bus jam for good ice cream and the famous and old jumping jacks in scotia....hehe
Now I have visions of us on the back of a flatbed truck, driving behind an ice cream van...

Top Bottom