Sacrilege? Vintage Martin Mahogany Soprano with Pegheds

rpfrogner

Reaction score
I am offering one of the best playing and sounding ukulele's I own. This is a 1918/19 Martin Style 1 soprano with modern Peghed tuners. I found this ukulele a little over a year ago without tuning pegs or strings. It appeared to have originally had wooden friction pegs so I didn't want to put mechanical friction tuners on it. What to do? I thought about buying replacement wooden pegs, and I thought about putting barrel tuners on it. A well known luthier told me if I was going to play it.......put Pegheds on it. He said I could always go back to wooden or mechanical tuners if I so desired. This is a very old Martin ukulele with the light wood nut and saddle, and fret position markers are 5, 7, and 9. It has no repairs and the original finish. It has a very small separation of the wood grain on the upper right bout. It also has a light buzz on the 4th (G) string when played hard in the open position. I could fix this easily, but it is not an issue for my normal playing style.
For me the action is low and perfect, the neck is straight with no bowing or sinking of the sound board. The case pictured will be included. I am asking $950 plus shipping costs. Please let me know of any additional questions or photo's I can provide. Please buy this one quick or I will change my mind. SN856955.jpgSN856958.jpgSN856960.jpgSN856959.jpgSN856965.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful vintage uke. Good luck with the sale! The pegheds also looks great on it. This price for a 20' uke is AWESOME!

My Martin also lacked tuners and so I threw pegheds on there as well! They work like a dream!

I have been so glad our daughter was a pianist and only wanted a concert quality piano. Concert quality stringed instruments are in the five and six figures. Professor Andre, from U of Montana (Missoula) sold his bow to a very good friend for only Forty Thosand Dollars. There are quite a few concert grade instruments of different sizes with PEGHEDS. Even a 5K vintage is an inexpensive instrument in comparison to other stringed instruments who are being "altered" with the geared tuner which looks like a wooden peg. Yes, I have a Martin with PEGHEDS. My Ukiyo Vita will probably be next. Marc said it meets with his approval

Please note that the price is "slightly" negotiable :). Very nice old Martin. These early models are much lighter, and were completely hand made.

Top Bottom