First encounter with the Stagg US20

FormbyFanatic95

Reaction score
OK so the US20 just came in today. Open the box and wow what a lovely uke. Lets check the sound..............URGH! The people at Stagg really have to get the strings sorted because fishing line does not do the trick. I do not see how so many people gave this uke a good rating, so I think I will have to get new strings, but which strings?

Note: I mainly play George Formby songs if the strings matter.

Thanks

I have just bought the same Uke

OK so the US20 just came in today. Open the box and wow what a lovely uke. Lets check the sound..............URGH! The people at Stagg really have to get the strings sorted because fishing line does not do the trick. I do not see how so many people gave this uke a good rating, so I think I will have to get new strings, but which strings?

Note: I mainly play George Formby songs if the strings matter.

Thanks

I totally agree with you on the strings... they are useless!:mad:

I kind of expected that to be honest so I bought a set of Aquila strings at the same time.

Nothing wrong with the uke that a good set of strings couldn't cure.

These are the ones I got, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquila-Nylg...Y05O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336907733&sr=8-2

Aquila is generally a "quick fix" if you want to get a bold tone out of a cheap uke.

But there are many other options too. I find that Fremont Blacklines and Martin fluorocarbons also give most ukes a lot of life.

I own the same ukulele and agree with you, op. Not all fishing line sucks, but Stagg's do. I guess they spend all their money on their Hohner harmonicas and leave their ukuleles with monofilament by Zebco.

I put Worth Clears on mine. Sounds much better. I actually like the sound now...although on mine the fret ends are not dressed as I'd like (slightly sharp) and the intonation is goot but not great up the fretboard, and the thing does not stay in tune worth a hill of beans. But, other than that, it's a fair inexpensive ukulele. I throw mine in the car when I know I'm going to be waiting for my wife outside some of her favorite stores.

Cheers, mate.

(wait a second, I own a Stagg UC60--whatever that is. So, I guess I don't know about yours. But, I think in general Stagg's might benefit from Worth Clears. A US20 is see is reviewed on Uke Hunt
http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/brands/stagg-ukulele/

Last edited:
Top Bottom