Ukulele question on VIDEO!!!

The action does seem kind of high (higher than mine at least)

Also, I notice you're strumming with a pick, AND above the sound hole. Try using a felt pick, or your finger, and over the neck. Try that, maybe it'll sound "better" :)

it is a $30 'ukulele. you get what you pay for.

Yea, The action on that is way high. Try taking it to a music store and asking the Tech to see if he can set the intonation for you. When you pressed down on that string it sounded pretty dead. Thats probably because the string isn't getting close enough to the fretboard, Your String Nut is really high on that instrument. Thats causing the strings to set high. You could either sand that down or remove it, sand the glue off, Then glue a new one on. Stewart Maconald has instrument parts. (You are taking risk in permanently damaging the instrument though).....

Good luck!! :D

JP

FIXED! I brought the Galveston back to the store to return it so I can have extra cash for the new uke I want to buy, when they said I could only get a store credit, I couldn't find anything of interest to me for around 30 dollars.

I asked him if he could f** with the action because it is so up high and making the intonation crappy. He took it back to his workshop for 5 minutes tops, came back with the nut slits shaved down so now the strings sit nicely right above the frets.

It plays just fine now. Everything is easier to play and I don't have to KILL my fingers to get chords sounding slightly right.

The Galveston is a bit on the crap side, but I love it. The sound is not strong, it does not resonate well, there's other things about it that suck, but it is mine and I can't put it down.

Now I have more time to decide what kind of awesome new uke I can get.

FIXED! I brought the Galveston back to the store to return it so I can have extra cash for the new uke I want to buy, when they said I could only get a store credit, I couldn't find anything of interest to me for around 30 dollars.

I asked him if he could f** with the action because it is so up high and making the intonation crappy. He took it back to his workshop for 5 minutes tops, came back with the nut slits shaved down so now the strings sit nicely right above the frets.

It plays just fine now. Everything is easier to play and I don't have to KILL my fingers to get chords sounding slightly right.

The Galveston is a bit on the crap side, but I love it. The sound is not strong, it does not resonate well, there's other things about it that suck, but it is mine and I can't put it down.

Now I have more time to decide what kind of awesome new uke I can get.

glad to hear that! sometimes I wonder how much trouble and pain one could spare if things like that would be always right, I mean I know a lot of musicians (inclusive myself) who have major problems with their instruments which could be fixed so easily... but if you don't know what to do, you just can't change it... for example on my bagpipes, they tend to get out of tune if I play them for a long time, and the solution is quite simple, you just need to put some special oil into the pipes... but until someone told me to do that, I was sooo helpless, having no knowledge sometimes suxx alot...

just one more good reason why UU is such a good page, it shares knowledge!

Top Bottom