UPS has lost my Kamaka Keiki! Has UPS every lost your ukulele?

pepamahina

Reaction score
I am sullen and cranky because UPS has lost the Kamaka Keiki that I just bought. They are looking for it, but after reading a lot of online stories about things being lost, particularly passports and valuable things (like guitars) I am getting pessimistic. I'm sure the seller will refund me, but how often am I going to find another Keiki in such good shape? Has UPS or FEDEX ever lost your ukulele?

Last edited:
Ouch - sorry to hear that.

UPS has never lost any of my packages. They have destroyed some over the years, though.

John

I've had good luck with UPS too. So, I'll bet they find your Kamaka Keiki.

Once in a great while they miss a scan or a package is still on a truck.

Keep us posted to what happens.

I've had a few lost items thanks to UPS. They've all showed up eventually though. I followed the tracking and they end up in some weird city and get routed back. Most I have ever had a item disappear for is one week.

Aloha PM,
I would be outraged since you were expecting it and it is a kamaka...did he have insurance on it...I am sure if he had, he will collect on it....for a small price it is well worth it...
tell him to follow up on it...was this the same one that was on UU quite some time ago....gee I really wanted that one too. Good Luck L let us know how it goes..MM Stan

How long has it been MIA? I've had things go missing for a few days but they've always popped back up.

How long has it been MIA? I've had things go missing for a few days but they've always popped back up.

It was last seen in Maumee Ohio April 20th.....it was wearing a cute little vintage case and is probably hungry and scared...please if you have any information about my Keiki, please contact me....sniff (dabbing eyes).

Here is a recent photo:
Keiki.jpg

Last edited:
It will likely turn up. They probably don't start looking for it in earnest until an insurance claim is made. If I remember correctly, they have a certain period of time to hunt for it before they pay the claim. I want to say it's 3 weeks, but I'm not sure. The seller is the one who has to make the claim.

HI! I'm calling you from Scotland! I'm here supposed to be playing with the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain but I lost my passport and my money after I was mugged in a bar in Glasgow! Please, Grandmom (I mean, Pepa) wire me money immediately! It's cold here and I only have that tweed case to sleep in and I'm getting desperate!

Wow, that is a bummer. But I would bet that they will track it down and you should have it in relatively short order. I find UPS to be pretty reliable.

But that pales in comparison to what I just went through having a uke shipped to me. I bought a NAMM show Kanilea K-1 premium back in February. I paid for it with Paypal on Feb. 23rd, and I just recieved it LAST FRIDAY! It took over nine weeks. The guy shipped it from South Africa in a CONTAINER without telling me and then he went AWOL! Have you ever tried to track something from the South African Post Office via a container? Fuhgetaboutit. Frankly I was amazed that it finally showed up unannounced at work on Friday.

It was however, worth the wait and I'm sure your Kamaka will be as well!

It will likely turn up. They probably don't start looking for it in earnest until an insurance claim is made. If I remember correctly, they have a certain period of time to hunt for it before they pay the claim. I want to say it's 3 weeks, but I'm not sure. The seller is the one who has to make the claim.

The seller did complain, so now when I look at the tracking it says "Tracer request. / Lost package tracer" and lists the city that it was supposed to go to after it went to Maumee. I don't know what exactly they are doing. What do they do, just run around the warehouse going "hey, Bill, have you seen this package?" I have no idea. They told the seller that they would contact her again in 8 days. Anybody out there work for UPS and know what they do when they are "tracing" a package?

I am sullen and cranky because UPS has lost the Kamaka Keiki that I just bought. They are looking for it, but after reading a lot of online stories about things being lost, particularly passports and valuable things (like guitars) I am getting pessimistic. I'm sure the seller will refund me, but how often am I going to find a Keiki without damage? Has UPS or FEDEX ever lost your ukulele?
Aloha Pepamahina,
How long has it been and did it come from overseas..like hawaii..I've had the post office say it was lost and it
showed up later..I hope it turns out for you this way...Good Luck with your lost Keiki

Have you ever tried to track something from the South African Post Office via a container? Fuhgetaboutit. Frankly I was amazed that it finally showed up unannounced at work on Friday.
It was however, worth the wait and I'm sure your Kamaka will be as well!

Wow, you're braver than me having something shipped from anywhere in Africa. Although I'd rather ship from Africa than to Africa. At least yours showed up. I started using UPS for selling stuff on eBay after the regular post office's own tracking showed that they had sent my package to the completely wrong state, but even so they wouldn't refund me because I didn't have insurance. What's the point of tracking it then? I had paid extra for the privilege of watching them ship it to another state. So I thought i was safer with UPS. What now, FEDEX? Carrier pigeon? Greyhound?

I have never had a problem when it is shipped in a cardboard box, I have however had the last three items I had shipped in either a guitar case or a pelican case stolen. 10 years ago this never seemed to happen but in recent years-every time. if its identifiable it gets "lost". Now days when I have the option, it goes USPS then if it gets stolen its a federal crime. Of the last three "lost" items 2 were with my (formerly favorite) FEDEX and the last was UPS.

My advice to everyone is put those identifiable cases in a unidentifiable card board box!

I really hope you don't have my luck and it finds it way back to you real soon!

Last edited:
That's a pain. I'm sorry. UPS just delivered a uke to me today. But I wish they would have used FedEx. If UPS says it will take four days, it will take four days. If FedEx says it will be up to four days, invariably it is here in two (sometimes three). I just trust them more. Several builders and retailers I know will only ship via FedEx.

Still, I'd give them a couple of days to find it and then I'd get the seller pursuing the insurance claim. Good luck. Waiting is hard enough without shipping snafus.

I have never had a problem when it is shipped in a cardboard box, I have however had the last three items I had shipped in either a guitar case or a pelican case stolen... if its identifiable it gets "lost"...
My advice to everyone is put those identifiable cases in a unidentifiable card board box!

I think you're onto something with this. It seems like with something as technologically advanced as a UPS tracking system that really the only way for things to be lost is by deliberate human intervention. These "lost" packages are probably stolen by employees. This package was shipped from Hawaii, maybe someone snagged it because of that. I don't know what kind of box of course. What is the Hawaiian experience out there? Do you guys lose more packages that you ship to the mainland than the rest of us do just shipping around the continent?

I work for FedEx and packages do go "missing" and usually it is a human that makes it go missing. So hopefully they find it. Usually when they trace it they search the terminal and sometimes find odd sized boxes misplaced. So maybe thats what happened if not hope they find it...go FedEx....

Top Bottom