New Padauk Boat Paddle Uke arrives! A Class Act!

AKuker

Reaction score
photo.JPGphoto.JPGphoto.JPGphoto.JPGIt's Here! And it is amazing! My new Padauk and Adirondack Spruce Concert Boat Paddle Kayak Uke. Padauk back and sides and headstock facing. Spruce top. Ebony fretboard and bridge and the fret board is bound with Padauk. Grover tuners and Worth strings.

This is the second one. When I first contacted Jerry it was to ask if he could use some padauk that I've had for years. It turns out that mine was rift sawn and not quarter sawn, so he found some from his supplier and we went from there. He recommended the Adirondack Spruce for the top. We chose to use padauk for the binding and to bind the wide ebony fretboard. I asked for the MOP thumbnail fret markers and logo and he got busy.

When I received the uke it was cold outside so I let it acclimate while I started at the box. When I fianlly opened the box, the case seemed a bit big. I still didn't open the case, trying to allow it all the time it needed to come up to room temp. The next morning, I opened the case and it was a tenor! Beautiful, but a tenor. I checked the build order and sure enough, I had ordered a concert size uke. I pondered on what I should do (seriously thought about just keeping it) and finally sent Jerry an email. He responded promptly and told me to send it back and he'd have the concert in my hands by the end of the month! True to his word, I have the concert uke and couldn't be happier. The sustain on this is nothing short of amazing!

You can see it's big brother tenor on Jerry's website under the "for sale" section. Jerry is one class act. And he produces an amazing uke! I'd recommend him to anyone.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new acquisition! I have a Boat Paddle tenor, and it's terrific. I'll go look at your uke's big brother right now.

Kathryn

Congrats on your new Boat Paddle, AKuker. We would love to see some pics of it.

With regards to it's big brother the tenor, I assume you played it quite a bit. What did you think? Sound, neck, intonation, finish, etc.?

No fair! No reviews without pictures! We need eye candy!

Eye Candy in place, Jon. Not sure why I couldn't do it earlier. Sorry dkcrown, I knew I had an issue when I saw it. I didn't want to mess with it if I decided to send it back.

It is breath-taking. The tenor is gorgeous, too.
Lucky you!

I played a Kayak tenor briefly in my early uke days, at a local jam. I remember that the neck and fret board were comfy. He's always been on my short list of "the one final uke" builders though. Can't wait to see some bigger pics. Congrats!

Woooo. I'd like to hear that sometime. Is padauk a brighter tone wood? I have a padauk drum and it sounds lovely.

Hi Didgeridoo2. I think the Padauk is at the brighter end of the spectrum from what I've read. This one sounds really nice!

View attachment 37269View attachment 37270View attachment 37271View attachment 37272It's Here! And it is amazing! My new Padauk and Adirondack Spruce Concert Boat Paddle Kayak Uke. Padauk back and sides and headstock facing. Spruce top. Ebony fretboard and bridge and the fret board is bound with Padauk. Grover tuners and Worth strings.

Congrats! Nice uke. I'd love to hear what it sounds like. It will sound even better in a month.

I agree Jerry's BP ukes are pretty amazing. My favorite BP is his 12-Fret design, incredibly light and easy to play.

Last edited:
Congrats! Nice uke. I'd love to hear what it sounds like. It will sound even better in a month.

I agree Jerry's BP ukes are pretty amazing. My favorite BP is his 12-Fret design, incredibly light and easy to play.

Whoa! If this starts sounding better than it does now, I may have to sell the others I have; they won't be getting any use!

Top Bottom