Dissatisfied Buyer -- What to Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeykondo

Reaction score
I am writing this to see how all of you would handle this situation. A few weeks ago, I sold an ukulele in brand new condition from a custom maker. The reason I sold it is because it was an impulse buy for me, and I determined that I liked my other custom ukes better. I sold it on fleamarketmusic and provided very clear photographs. I also spoke to the buyer on the phone, played some chords over the phone. He determined that although he'd never heard one of these ukes in person that he'd take a chance since the price was low (I sold it to him what I paid for it), although he recognized that there is no way that he'd be able to determine how it sounds over the phone.

I told him that I thought that the uke sounded good and was a good value. I said that it had very good volume and a punchy sound. Although this custom maker isn't extremely well known, he does have positive reviews, and I haven't seen any negative ones. I tried to be as honest as possible. When this gentleman received the uke, he told me that he was very disappointed--that he felt like it had no tone and no volume and that it was made with shoddy construction. He thinks that it's overbuilt, sounds dead and is unsellable. Honestly, I have a hard time understanding how he can say it has no volume, although tone is quite subjective. And I just don't agree that it's poorly constructed. I've played many customs, and I think that this is well made. Not as good as a Mya moe, but certain a solid construction in my view.

I don't want this man to feel cheated, so I offered to post an ad for him or even contact the maker, but he seems reluctant all around. He is not asking for any money back, and recognizes that I did not offer any returns. In fact, I would not have sold to him if he demanded a return because of the hassle and because I have many times taken the same risk with ukes I've bought but have not played.

So what would you do? A big part of me feels like I should just allow the deal to stand, because it was an honest deal, and I did not misrepresent the uke in any way (although the buyer may not agree). But I just hate to have someone feel upset with something I sold him, even though I don't feel that I did anything wrong. Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Has something like this happened to you before? How did you handle it?

Last edited:
No returns = no returns. We all take a risk buying an instrument we haven't played, it goes with the territory. I bought a very expensive ukulele from a highly regarded company from a private seller and hated it. Hated. It.

If you didn't misrepresent it, then it's on him that he doesn't like it. It sounds like you did everything you could have by playing him some stuff over the phone.

My :2cents:

I am writing this to see how all of you would handle this situation. A few weeks ago, I sold an ukulele in brand new condition from a custom maker. The reason I sold it is because it was an impulse buy for me, and I determined that I liked my other custom ukes better. I sold it on fleamarketmusic and provided very clear photographs. .........

Wowy! Thats a tough one; I suppose all I can answer from is the business side of things- we are 100% about the customer satisfaction- so if they aren't, then we aren't. But on a personal side of things I can understand the hassle of returns and the transaction being a final sale.

I suppose the best thing to do is try to reach an amicable solution with the buyer if you still feel poorly about the deal. If he ended up not liking it and it is in great condition- I suppose he could just re-sell it too. hmmm - Good luck! :cool:

If I were in your shoes, I would offer to refund the full price he paid for the uke, including shipping, IF (and only if) he paid for the retun shipping, with insurance, and the 'ukulele was undamaged.

I know it was a "no return" sale. I've had a few of those, but broke my rule on the rare times when the person buying was really unhappy. In the end, it worked out better because I got what I sold back, didn't lose any money, and was able to sell it again later to someone who could appreciate it.

Hassle, yes. But long-term headache, no.

If I were in your shoes, I would offer to refund the full price he paid for the uke, including shipping, IF (and only if) he paid for the retun shipping, with insurance, and the 'ukulele was undamaged.

I know it was a "no return" sale. I've had a few of those, but broke my rule on the rare times when the person buying was really unhappy. In the end, it worked out better because I got what I sold back, didn't lose any money, and was able to sell it again later to someone who could appreciate it.

I agree with PoiDod, this sounds like the fairest way to handle it. Really sounds like buyers remorse to me.

I agree with this 100%. The only risk is that it's become damaged in some way, and if the buyer can give you assurances and pay postage, you should be ok. And as PoiDog says, no long-term problems, which I think is the whole goal here.

I agree, but to put it more clearly (to my simple mind) I would offer a full refund MINUS any and all round trip shipping/insurance costs

Tough call..Not all ukues you buy anywhere will please everyone....since you don't know the guy and how high his preferences or expections are...but if you were honest and sold it for a reasonable price, he shouldn't ask for more than it is...ie ...if he bought a china uke and expected a K brand that is not gonna happen... if he expressed dissatisfaction, he always could flip it on ebay
I just don't maybe understand why he called you if he had no intentions of returning it..after all ... I have been in that situation and probally got burned a few times, I just resell it and save the hassle

I, too, agree with PoiDog. It's a hassle, but you are clearly bothered about it already. You may sell something again sometime, and you will have earned some extra good will by keeping the customer happy. Who knows? It may be that when you contact the buyer, he may feel differently about the ukulele.

As long as you accurately represented the ukulele the sale should stand. The buyer's desription of the instrument contains much hyperbole and causes me to suspect other reasons for the request to return the instrument.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with most of the advice given here. A "no return" sale means exactly that. If the buyer doesn't like it - too bad. I'm not being heartless or unsympathetic - I have been on both sides of that kind of transaction. The buyer will have to sell it, just like you did. One reason that a used instrument costs more when you buy from a dealer is because you CAN return it. However, I think it is unreasonable to expect dealer guarantees at private party prices.

I have bought many instruments that weren't keepers for me. And you know what I did? I sold them. No big deal.

You have nothing to feel bad about.

usually when you sell things, you end up getting less when listing it as no returns. that is part of the gamble and you accept you may get less because you don't want to deal with returns. a good store will guarantee your satisfaction, but this is not the route he went. he knew there was a possibility he would not like it and needs to man up and deal with it. he knew he was taking a chance and you were completely honest with your offer. selling a good ukulele from a reputable maker will not be that hard for him. (i bet he sells with a no return policy)

Many buys I have had on FMM came with a "try it and return if you don't like it" policy. Most don't indicate if there is or isn't a return policy.

Do what you think is right. I'd take it back minus the shipping (both ways).

BTW maybe the person needs a couple days to let the strings settle or replace the strings. Many used ukes sound bad if they have old/worn strings.

Can you say who the maker is?

I am writing this to see how all of you would handle this situation. A few weeks ago, I sold an ukulele in brand new condition from a custom maker. The reason I sold it is because it was an impulse buy for me, and I determined that I liked my other custom ukes better. I sold it on fleamarketmusic and provided very clear photographs. I also spoke to the buyer on the phone, played some chords over the phone. He determined that although he'd never heard one of these ukes in person that he'd take a chance since the price was low (I sold it to him what I paid for it), although he recognized that there is no way that he'd be able to determine how it sounds over the phone.

I told him that I thought that the uke sounded good and was a good value. I said that it had very good volume and a punchy sound. Although this custom maker isn't extremely well known, he does have positive reviews, and I haven't seen any negative ones. I tried to be as honest as possible. When this gentleman received the uke, he told me that he was very disappointed--that he felt like it had no tone and no volume and that it was made with shoddy construction. He thinks that it's overbuilt, sounds dead and is unsellable. Honestly, I have a hard time understanding how he can say it has no volume, although tone is quite subjective. And I just don't agree that it's poorly constructed. I've played many customs, and I think that this is well made. Not as good as a Mya moe, but certain a solid construction in my view.

I don't want this man to feel cheated, so I offered to post an ad for him or even contact the maker, but he seems reluctant all around. He is not asking for any money back, and recognizes that I did not offer any returns. In fact, I would not have sold to him if he demanded a return because of the hassle and because I have many times taken the same risk with ukes I've bought but have not played.

So what would you do? A big part of me feels like I should just allow the deal to stand, because it was an honest deal, and I did not misrepresent the uke in any way (although the buyer may not agree). But I just hate to have someone feel upset with something I sold him, even though I don't feel that I did anything wrong. Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Has something like this happened to you before? How did you handle it?

Since September I have purchased 13 ukuleles online (and sold seven). I think it should be understood that when you are purchasing online and you have not heard it live, there is risk. As long as the description is honest, along with the reason for selling, then it really is buyer beware. The comfort that I feel with the UU Marketplace is that, for the most part, it is knowledgeable regulars who are buying and selling and there is safety in that. Most in the Marketplace know the value of the instrument. The only thing that is not known is the condition and we rely on honest descriptions from the seller. There is an element of trust in there. The one thing that you really can't compensate for is "expectations" and I have a feeling that this is what your buyer is feeling regrets over. I think you did a good thing by offering a refund. You did not have to-- but you did which shows you as a genuine seller. As for the buyer, I am not quite sure why he told you about it. if he does not like it, he should sell it as Stan says, or offer it back.

I recently purchased a KoAloha Sceptre off the marketplace. From all that I read about the Sceptre, I expected to love it. I purchased it from a member who is well respected in the forums. The Sceptre arrived just as described. it looked beautiful. it sounded wonderful. I could see the artistry in its construction. I wanted to love it- but I couldn't. i gave it some time but I just was not loving it. it was so different from my Kanilea's and I discovered that for a tenor size, I Preferred the Kanile'a sound. The first thing I did was to write to the guy who sold it to me to tell him that I was not comfortable with it and I was going to put it up for sale, in case he wanted it back. I gave it a little more time and then put it up for sale with a full description of what happened. it was snatched up quickly by another UU member who tells me he loves it. The problem was not the ukulele. The problem was me and it is better that the uke now lives where it is loved and played. I never expected the original owner to make good on it, he sold it in good faith, and I purchased it in good faith, but sometimes, I know that we wish we could take some of the items that we sell, back- so I offered that-- same price and I would pay the shipping and charges. The other thing I did to honor the friendship I feel with other forum members was to offer the Sceptre for sale on the marketplace for the exact same price as I paid for it. So, in the end, it cost me the shipping and paypal fees, but I expect that to be my responsibility in this. I knew the risk going in.

Many buys I have had on FMM came with a "try it and return if you don't like it" policy. Most don't indicate if there is or isn't a return policy.

Do what you think is right. I'd take it back minus the shipping (both ways).

BTW maybe the person needs a couple days to let the strings settle or replace the strings. Many used ukes sound bad if they have old/worn strings.

Can you say who the maker is?

Im with Doc :agree:

Thanks for your replies guys. I am confident that I didn't do anything wrong, but it is just disheartening to see something like this happen. I have definitely purchased ukes that I didn't like and accepted that I assumed the risk for it. In this case, the buyer is not asking for his money back. He's just telling me that he's very unhappy and that the uke is of poor quality. He is also strongly implying that I deceived him about the uke's quality by suggesting I sold it because it is of poor quality. I'm really puzzled by his proclamation that there's no volume though. I actually found the uke to be very very loud....

Last edited:
BTW, to those of you who have asked or sent me PM's, I do not feel right about disclosing the maker of the uke. Although the buyer is free to write a review, I do not want to pass along a view that I don't actually share about this ukulele or its maker.

I am speaking from the view point of a builder and a seller of my own instruments. You didn't mention the price of the uke but I assume it's over a few hundred bucks. It is common practice in the custom ukulele ($$$) world to offer a money back policy if not 100% satisfied with the instrument. I'm not sure this policy even has to be stated as it's pretty much assumed these days. If a seller lists an item with a "no refunds" policy the buyer knows he is taking a chance and the item should be deeply discounted to reflect that. Every buyer, seller and builder needs to recognize the practicality of a money back guarantee since buying on the Internet is so prevalent these days. I would never buy an instrument without such a policy. Personally, I think it is up to YOU in ask if the buyer would like a refund. He is clearly not happy with the purchase. If the tables were turned, how would you feel?
Build up your karma bank and do the right thing.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I completely disagree with most of the advice given here. A "no return" sale means exactly that. If the buyer doesn't like it - too bad. I'm not being heartless or unsympathetic - I have been on both sides of that kind of transaction. The buyer will have to sell it, just like you did. One reason that a used instrument costs more when you buy from a dealer is because you CAN return it. However, I think it is unreasonable to expect dealer guarantees at private party prices.

I have bought many instruments that weren't keepers for me. And you know what I did? I sold them. No big deal.

You have nothing to feel bad about.

Exactly that. As a private seller you have zero obligation to provide a return option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom