Help with rough fret

uke2020

Reaction score
Hi all, recently got a Kala Acacia tenor, love it, but the first fret feels rough when I slide across it on the edge of the fretboard. I don't see any burrs per se but it does look slightly elevated on inspection (see pic below). How should I fix this? With a fret end file or hammer it down or...? i have no uke tools but am willing to buy.

photo.jpg

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 50
Go to www.frets.com and search the site for fret care info. Then go to the Stewart MacDonald website and read up on fret work tools. This work has to be done correctly or you run the risk of making any problems much worse.

Sometimes when the uke gets dry because the heat is on in the house the frets will stick out alittle . You could try masking off your fretboard at the offending fret and use a fingernail file to take the end of the fret down , just work slow and be careful.
Looking closer at the image it looks like your fret board is bound with another wood
so my dryness theory is probably not the problem , it is just a poorly finished fret.
I would still try masking and filing a little and if that doesnt work take it to your local Luthier , The Music Emporium is near you and is a great place to visit.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the bad fret...But! that photo is another example of "the thinnest part of the neck is not necessarily at the nut" as I said in another thread:)

Ditto what Pukalele Pete said about dryness. I have seen this on bound figerboards too....my guitar used to get like that every winter.
A needle file or emery board can take the sharp edge off. I wouldn't bother trying to file it flush and risk the finish. Just break the sharp edges so you won't feel it

It looks by the picture that the end edge on that first fret is too sharp and didn't get eased. It should be slightly eased like the other frets. You can round it to match the other frets with a very small file being careful not to mark the fret board.

Thank you for the helpful replies!

So, I shouldn't hammer down the fret and should just file it? (Meaning I would do more harm than good trying to hammer it down.) Would it go back down once I get the himidity better? It's just sticking up a tad to make the tang visible and is so tempting to hit it...

There is a major misunderstanding going on here. Many see the fret ends protruding as being the problem, yet the OP is asking if he or she should "hammer down the fret"... I see a discussion at 90 degrees to itself here...literally.

Unfortunately, you do not know enough about the language of lutherie to properly assess and discuss this on-line. Just take the uke out to the Music Emporium and let one of the folks there talk you through this whole thing. Unless you're really good at close up photography, you're not going to be able to show us the true nature of this problem.

Top Bottom