FS/FT: Close cousin to uke: Ovation Mandolin- Not a uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

provines

Reaction score
Here's is my Ovation Mandolin. It is in good shape and comes with a case. I've had to do a little cosmestic work on the case as the black fabric has come apart a bit. I glued in some black felt which is doing to the job. The only obvious cosmetic mark is on the top of the headstock which is clearly shown in the photos. I just replaced the battery and tested the pickup. All is as it should be.
The mandolin is not a uke. I think it is much more difficult to play due to the doubled steel strings and the small nut. It requires a pick and is really loud. Don't expect to pick this up and start playing. It is tuned different and the chord shapes are a little crazy.
I'm selling this because I just bought a more classic F-style bluegrass mandolin.

I'd like $350 plus shipping for this. I think that is a fair price. Trades? Sure. Hit me up. They sell this exact model new at my local music shop without a case for $550.00 if you're thinking about what you originally paid for your trade instrument.

Note: The white dot on the face of the mandolin is a reflection. The top is really nice.

PM me or email me at dprovines@provines.net

IMG_8416.jpgIMG_8412.jpgIMG_8413.jpgIMG_8414.jpgIMG_8415.jpg

Last edited:
Just to check - it looks like the button on the third tuner down (Photo 5, left side) is cracked. I don't know if this is the case, but I had a similar tuner on one of my ukuleles crack like that, and it came off while I was tuning. I'm not casting aspersions - after the first one broke apart, I checked, and found two of the other three tuners were also cracked - it was a factory defect, and the company sent me new (and better made!) replacement tuners. I would never have noticed the cracks in mine if not for a good close-up photo.

I hope it is just a reflection, and that I'm wrong, but I don't want you to have problems down the road if it is bad.

-Kurt​

Hmmmm.... I didn't notice that. I'll check on it in the morning. The mandolin is currently sitting in my office. I'll update this thread when I can take a close look at it. Thanks for the keen eye!

Last edited:
Here are some really close-ups of the tuners. They all appear to have these lines running through them. I don't feel any seperation when I run my fingers on the buttons, they are all smooth. I'll make a trip to the music store today and take a close look at the buttons on a brand new one. I'll let you know if this is how all ovation mandolin buttons look. This is a good detective case.

IMG_8424.jpgIMG_8422.jpgIMG_8423.jpg

I went to my local music shop and discretely took some photos of the Ovation mandolin's buttons with my cell phone. I enhanced the contrast to make the lines show up better. Either the Ovation buttons in the store are cracked too or this is just how they look. I'm not a forensic tuner button expert. I'm glad this is out for for examination as I'm completely above board on all my selling/trading I do here with our UU family and if indeed these are cracks in the buttons, you know about this issue.
IMG_0843.jpgIMG_0839.jpg

Last edited:
A mandolin makes a great platform to be restrung with four ukulele strings. Because they are braced for eight steel, I use tenor strings on mine. I currently have 8 "mukes" The 1929 Dobro claro walnut body; single cone still runs a full set of eight tenor taropatch strings

Hmmmm. David, it may be time for some chinese food and a show and tell. I have been looking for and mando for a while. Give me a jingle or email.

Mike
formerly of ukuDaily.com

A mandolin makes a great platform to be restrung with four ukulele strings. Because they are braced for eight steel, I use tenor strings on mine.
Actually, besides the bracing, mandos are usually made with thicker tops than ukes. The lower tension of nylon strings doesn't provide enough "oomph" to effectively drive the top for optimal volume. It won't hurt a mando to put nylon strings on it (like it would if you put steel strings on an uke built for nylons) but the sound would be rather weak. YMMV. :)

Okay, these photos - which are from a different angle - show the whorls and lines to be part of the tuner, not cracks. At least, that is how I see them.

The cracked buttons I had looked kinda like this: button 3a1.jpg

Sorry to be an alarmist, but thank you for taking my concerns seriously.

Good luck with the sale!

-Kurt​
I went to my local music shop and discretely took some photos of the Ovation mandolin's buttons with my cell phone. I enhanced the contrast to make the lines show up better. Either the Ovation buttons in the store are cracked too or this is just how they look. I'm not a forensic tuner button expert. I'm glad this is out for for examination as I'm completely above board on all my selling/trading I do here with our UU family and if indeed these are cracks in the buttons, you know about this issue.
View attachment 37344View attachment 37345

This is what makes this on-line community great. Everyone looking out for each other and sharing experiences.
Remember, I'm game for trades. Just about anything musical except for drums.

It is an import. This model was made in the USA at one time but they shipped the line overseas. It is hard to find a USA one now.

Cousin to the uke? The only similarity that I can see is they both have strings. Mandolin necks are thin at the nut and using a double course of nylon strings is going to get mighty cramped for fingering. Like other folks have mentioned, there just isn't going to be enough tension to activate the top much making the sound thin at best.

And Bumblebees are not able to fly---but they do

Cousin to the uke? The only similarity that I can see is they both have strings. Mandolin necks are thin at the nut and using a double course of nylon strings is going to get mighty cramped for fingering. Like other folks have mentioned, there just isn't going to be enough tension to activate the top much making the sound thin at best.

It is a wonder that mandolins and violins are used to play some of the most complex music written for any instrument. It isn't just tiny fingered women who have been world famous on both instruments. Either instrument will leave a ukulele in the dust for fingering speed.

According to the thin at the neck comment, a cavaco/cavaquinho also will be cramped, since the neck is also thinner at the nut. That some may find it cramped really says no more than some find the soprano to be cramped. A mandolin does not have to be strung with eight strings to be strung and played DGBE or GCEA. For thin necks, you would probably also not approve of a balalaika strung with four because of a narrow nut. What style of mandolin do you consider as creating a thin sound? That's not the response from people who play the several different styles which are strung either four or eight.
No, they are not flat-picked.

This instrument has been sold! Thanks everyone. I hope you have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom