Ohana 5 String - Paging Mr Middleton

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I am wondering if it would be possible to either "bodge" some form of string dampener, or perhaps slacken off either the high or low G and insert a small piece of felt between the string and bridge and/or nut, thereby dampening one or the other, allowing a fast change between high and low G tuning.

As Ken is the only person who is almost certain to own one, I wonder if it would be possible to investigate, if time permits.

In the extremely likely event that this is the most ridiculous idea you've ever heard, please feel free to either ignore or ridicule me. I shall leave the choice to your discretion.

Ever consider just having two matching ukes strung hi and low? Seems less complicated.

Interesting idea, Kahuna. Although the 5-string Ohana may be scarce, I would think anyone with an 8-string tenor and the same curiosity could tinker with this as well.

Nice idea, but I don't believe it would work. The strings are coursed and are really close.
I have mine strung with the high g first, when I strum the high g rings, when I need a low g note in a melody, I pick up to accent the low string.

I like my 5 string a lot, and it really sings at a uke group. If I played it exclusively, I am sure I would get really good at isolating the hi and low g strings as needed. I can just hit the outside high g with my thumb on a downstroke, and get the low g with my index finger on the upstroke (picking style). When they both play together, it's a really nice rich sound, and very distinctive.

–Lori

I actually don't own one. I only actually own two or three Ohana. However, I have probably got a couple lying around.

I can't think of an effective way of completely dampening the sound of either of the G strings. Something like a piano tuner uses might do the trick. It is like a tiny old-fashioned clothes peg lined with felt. It could slot over the bottom string to leave you with a re-entrant instrument. It would probably work the other way round too.

My question is: why would you want to do it?

Funny, I was just thinking about the same thing this morning. (have in the past too) Here's my ridiculous idea., wouldn't it be nice to have a string hidden on a reel of some sort under the saddle, for the low and high g, so when you wanted one or the other all you'd have to do is pull it out. It would be the kind of reel that automatically winds, retracts. Does this make any sense at all?? I guess the tuning peg would have to have a special set up too for easily attaching the new string.

Easy access to either high or low G. I have seen, and sold, individual string dampeners for 6 string guitars (although the last one I saw was probably 35 years ago) and was trying to mentally devise one for the 5 string (mainly by trying to imagine how I'd do it on a 10 or 12 string guitar). The idea just popped into my head after seeing your review of the instrument. As I said in my OP, probably a stupid idea. But you never know until you ask. :)

Funny, I was just thinking about the same thing this morning. (have in the past too) Here's my ridiculous idea., wouldn't it be nice to have a string hidden on a reel of some sort under the saddle, for the low and high g, so when you wanted one or the other all you'd have to do is pull it out. It would be the kind of reel that automatically winds, retracts. Does this make any sense at all?? I guess the tuning peg would have to have a special set up too for easily attaching the new string.

I like your concept. I would be afraid that if the string were slack, and then stretched, it would have trouble staying in tune (like whenever you put new strings on). I guess the low tech version of this would be to have a double necked uke.

–Lori

I'm pretty sure a sprung dampener mounted on the headstock could do the job. Can anyone who owns one possibly measure the gap between the G's at the nut ?

Top Bottom