Vega Baritone?

I owned the DeLuxe Solo Lute, which I believe was the top of the line. It was a beautiful-looking uke with great mojo, but in my memory (this was a while ago), it wasn't as resonant as some of my other baritones like Guild and Martin. Also, I recall the neck being kind of chunky. But it's hard to generalize based on one experience. I'd say, if you're interested and the uke is local, it's worth a trip to check it out.

There are two Godfrey ukes, the Deluxe and the Standard. Both are the same uke with minor flourishes on the details on the Deluxe. Despite Godfrey's popularity, the ukes are essentially the same instrument as Harmony and Regal offerings from the same period, and you can get those, and the Vegas, for less than $200. And I agree with Tommy that the Vega is simply not as resonant, not in the same class, as a Martin - or Gibson or Favilla for that matter.

Vintage baritones are really undervalued now, so it's a good time to get one. There are several decent ones on eBay right now that can be gotten for less than $200 - A Regal "stadium" for $100 in excellent shape and three or four Harmonies ranging from $39 to $150 or so. Two Godfrey Vega models came down yesterday, one for $125 and a second for $69 (thought this one had a bridge re-set and needed much work). There are two Godfrey Vega models up now at $200+ and $399 and both are in condition that doesn't warrant anywhere near those Buy It Now prices - they're just not that good. I think, unless its in Very Good to Excellent condition, there's no point in spending more than $175 for a Vega Godfrey model. But - you do have the advantage of being able to go and see what it is, and that's worth a LOT, plus no shipping.

Favilla, on the other hand, CAN be had for this price and it's the best of the best of Baritone ukes, up there in quality with Martin and Gibson and more affordable. Here's one right now, which I would bid on in a second if I was in the market for a Favilla. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Favilla-Baritone-Ukulele-Uke-Model-B-2-Excellent-Condition-Circa-1960-/261014002370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc5a59ac2#ht_500wt_1219 and here's another - despite the crack, I think it's nearly as desirable as the first one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Herk-Favilla-B2-B-2-Baritone-Ukulele-Uke-/150807268268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231cd04bac#ht_500wt_1219

I know I'm putting a lot of eBay up here, but I have never had a bad experience with eBay, and I've bought maybe 12 instruments over time and never had to return one. As long as everything is as represented in the photos, and as long as they answer my questions (I always ask them to post or email photos of the neck from the tailpiece to the nut so I can see how straight or crooked it is), I've always gotten my answers before putting in the bid and never been surprised.

is there more than one model of baritone favilla? i noticed allot labeled b2 model, is there another model? whats the difference?

I have a Vega bari. I like it a little better that the Harmony models I've played. I believe the body is a little bigger and so it is a bit more full sounding. The neck is a little chunkier, as has been said. I've also played bari's that I believe are much better in all ways, namely Martins and Kamakas. I also have a Bruko that I like better than the Vega.

is there more than one model of baritone favilla? i noticed allot labeled b2 model, is there another model? whats the difference?

Yes, Hey Day - Favilla made three models of uke - 1 which was pretty basic, 2 which had a roseate around the soundhole, rosewood fretboard and dark binding (sometimes white), and the 3 which had an ebony fretboard, roseate and more decoration than the other two. B indicates baritone, U was soprano. I don't know if they made tenor ukes or concerts, but Tom Favilla is pretty cool about answering questions; thomasfavilla@yahoo.com . The Herk signature means this was made between 1959 and before 1980, when he retired.

Favilla also made the B2s which was a spruce top baritone. Only 48 were made.

Mike

This guy has been trying to sell that uke for over a year. Looks like he dropped the price another $100. I can't remember the price it started at, but if I remember correctly, it's been at $300 for dang near a year. He's practically right down the street from me (well, about three or four miles). He also has a banjo he's been trying to sell just as long as he's been selling the uke. I'd be curious if you purchase it as I feel that something might be wrong with it.

Dan

Top Bottom