Bass Uke Compensation Question

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I'm starting a build on a bass uke using a 20" scale and the Pahoehoe strings and trying to find some numbers for the compensation required.

Done the usual search and asked around but the numbers coming back are all over the place. Some as little as 2.5 mm from Low E to G. Others as much as 10.5mm.

Anyone able to help me out so I can get in the ball park?

I'll measure the one I am building - those strings really stretch when you get them up to pitch. You also need toput them at an angle. I have a headway pickup - origianly used on the first Ashbory bases. Probably got a spare - get in touch of you are interested.

Thanks Pete. Good to get your numbers. I'm planning on using the K&K twin spot in this one.

I've had a look at a bunch of commercial models on line as well as pictures of Owen Holts. Some show an angle to the saddle, some don't, others using the Shadow bass pickup have what is essentially a 8mm wide saddle that is individually compensated. I'm presuming from factory. Never seen one in the flesh. It's all a bit confusing.

A mate said he got his hands on a Kala that belonged to one of the members of the Uke Orchestra of Great Britain when they were in Perth. He took his ruler to it as he was building one as well, but was stymied at where to locate the bridge. Hasn't got around to finishing it, so don't know the results.

His measurements showed this.

Just found the bit of card on which we wrote down the string lengths:

1st (G) - thinnest string nearest the floor - 511.5mm
2nd (D) - 517.5mm
3rd (A) - 519mm
4th (E) - 520.5mm

From this you'll see that the saddle is 'angled' or compensated.

Nut to 12th fret at body - 255mm (i.e. 10")

Ok, for those interested in this I've heard back from Own Holt on the compensation matter.

Compensation should be around 1/8” at the G (3.2mm) and about 1/4" at the E (6.4mm) when using about a 20” scale. You can experiment with the saddle height, but I use a string height of about 4mm to 4.5mm at the 12th fret.

Top Bottom