Need help with content for new DVD!

AaronC@HMS

Reaction score
Aloha UU'ers! When I put out MyUke 101,we were looking at the absolute beginner player. You know, the guys that had no previous experience with an instrument. This time around, however, I want to know what you guys would like to learn. I see the flaws that the first DVD had...i.e. doing a beginners vid in Low G... So tell me, what does the typical UU'er want to learn? I've asked my students at Hawaii Music School and some of my Skype students what they would like in an instructional DVD. So far we've come up with a little theory, some finger exercises, maybe a little sight reading, and some playalongs with detailed examples. I really want to make this the most useful and informative Ukulele instructional DVD I can, and would appreciate your feedback. How long should it be? Low G or High G easier to follow? Content? Any help is appreciated. You can also email me at hmsukelessons@gmail.com! Mahalo and Aloha!

How about methods that are different in high and low G (or are these 2 different DVDs)? For example banjo rolls and other techniques (finger picking patterns?) that are slightly different depending on one's selection of G string.

I think all things beyond chords are great. Maybe it is just me, but I would like to learn more exercises like scales all the way down the neck and other things I can do when I want to improve my skills.

Hope that helps...

I appreciate you asking this.

When you do demonstrations of strums, I'd like to see them from more than one angle---from straight on and from down the fretboard. Sometimes it's really hard to see what the fingers are doing from straight on when the hand is half-closed.

Also, I'd like to see the strums demonstrated first super-slow, then slow, then moderate, then at tempo. Viewers can stop the DVD, but when you're following along, your fingers need to do it 2-3 times slowly before they catch on.

Aaron: your online tutorials are outstanding.

I notice you and Corey use your pinkie fingers a ton for accents, pull offs, and just plain adding another depth to a strum.

I'd like to learn the magic of the pinkie!

As a beginner I would say that strumming techniques are the thing that really have high appeal and maybe a variety? your 101 videos are very good and helpful. Aside from that theory would be the best buy that is already mostly covered. and I think High G and low G should both be shown just to give an idea about both :)

I would be interested in strum patterns, chord melodies, and improvisation.

I second the vote for more scale exercises, which will also get that pinky working. We keep hearing how important scales are, so if you have a way of showing how they are used in songs and improv that would be fantastic. I know that you've said the strum is just understanding the beat, so maybe a few practice songs using different strum elements - chunk, fan, triple, quad-americano, etc...

Everyone replying to this thread knows they've signed up for the next DVD, right?

Mahalo for the replies! Great suggestions so far! So Tigeralum2001 and ICMB, that's a great suggestion. I think we'll do a section explaining the different techniques employed by both the low and high g, as well as having all the examples done in both,as to not be confusing. GT3T11, thanks for the suggestion. My camera guy has all new equipment and has been telling me about the benefits of multi-angled shots. The slow to progressively faster thing sounds good too. Coolkyaker1 and Whit, no worries. This time around that lazy little pinky will be doing some p90x! Olarte, we'll defiantly do more strums and I plan on having the entire goal of this DVD to help with improvising! Keep em coming! Aloha-Aaron C.

Last edited:
Aaron,

I'd appreciate some tips for picking melody notes within a strumming pattern.

Thanks for asking!

Could you please record the lessons inside because the outside noise levels are kind of distracting from hearing you clearly. Thank you so, much!...

Connor013- Chord melody type picking? Can do. GKK- Great suggestion, we're actually thinking of doing the sound separately ... Thanks guys! I appreciate all your suggestions!

Top Bottom