UV-resistant finish

Probably as close as you'll get would be a UV resistant spar varnish. Look at Epiphanes products.

Pretty much every 2 pack automotive clear will have the best UV protection there is, as it's got to stand up to the elements and keep that ridiculously expensive European luxury sedan looking good. Now you just have to decide if you want to spray an instrument with it. I know some do and like it. I use it in the day job, but really not a fan of that finish on an instrument.

I've never had a problem with the color of padouk fading. I've always used nitro on it, but I doubt if the finish provided any magic. Sand it and seal it at once. After polishing keep it in a case when not in use, just as a precaution. Long ago I hung a raw padouk instrument by a window for quite a long time. The window side turned a lovely brown that wouldn't sand away, and the rest stayed red. It was fairly subtle, and no one else ever noticed. I don't much believe in magic wood, but padouk has always made wonderful instruments for me. Oil finishes will spoil padouk almost instantly.

Top Bottom