I want to start the ukulele!

lpfun

Reaction score
So I wanna start playing the ukulele. I have a few questions though. Will I need to hire an instructor or have any type of teacher in order to learn how to play it? Or do you think I would be able to self-learn? Also, I have no experience in any type of guitar; so I am a total newbie at this. And which uke should I buy and what type of uke sounds the best for most songs? I'm looking towards buying a pretty cheap uke. So I found this:

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lanikai-LU21-Standard-Ukulele?sku=512519

will this be sufficient? I can't tell what type of uke it is since it just says "standard" but there are also the tenor, baritone, and soprano types of this same guitar which costs $30-60 more. From reading the reviews, I hear this uke is pretty decent for a beginner. THANKS!

Well i can tell you this, I just got a Lanikai Tenor LU8E a few days ago and its a really nice looking and sounding instrument. Lanikai is considered a cheaper type uke. For these being made of Nato wood, They sound pretty good.....

I would suggest going to a local music store and seeing if they have a Soprano uke before buying online. at least then you can feel and play the instrument before you get it...Look for cracks and dings...Also press down on the fretboard too see if you feel comfortable with the feel of the board....Bad action on a fretboard is a fretted instrument players enemy.......

IF you do go with Musicians friend, I'd suggest you calling them and asking them to see how many they have in stock before you buy one....it says in stock....But they lie :rolleyes: TRUST ME! lol

JP

Do you need an Instructor? No. Is it nice having an Instructor when first learning? YES.

I started 6 mo. ago with Li'l Rev Ukulele Method 1 book and CD and was getting by when My other half got me lessons, it was nice being able to ask ????? face to face, you can learn alot from this site too.

As far as a starter Uke the one in your link is a good choice If they have it in stock to ship.
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kala-KA-S-M...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
Is the way to go basicly the same Uke but a great deal from a great guy to work with!!!!!

buy from MGM, the uke will have the best possible set up, that and i think a lot of MGM's ukes ship with a free case and tuner.

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room

Also alot of his entry level ukes come with a book or books for beginners.

I think just getting any "name brand" ukulele will suffice, once you start playing and fall in love with it, you will probably want to get another and another and another....

I can't tell what type of uke it is since it just says "standard" but there are also the tenor, baritone, and soprano types of this same guitar which costs $30-60 more.

Just a note: standard is the same as soprano.

Get a chart of uke chords and then get chords of the song that you are dying to play. Then watch the intro video in the site, and start playing. Repeat several times, and in no time you will know a lot of chords. :)

I was able to play along with a friend who has played the guitar for years after about 2 months of playing. :)

go with MGM! cant go wrong! and as for me starting 6 months ago i learned by youtube videos and practicing just simple strumming patterns and going from there. to start off just get a uke chord book! memorize as much as possible! got to chordie and learn some chord progressions while strumming SLOWLY! picking will come naturally from there!

Where do you live? Find a uke group in your area to jam with. You will learn much quicker and many groups offer a music book that they play. Also, groups are good for networking and meeting like minded uke players.

I am a beginner too. I am taking lessons and trying to learn on my own too. It helps when you are face to face with someone because they can tell you what you are doing wrong or just going over the basics for you. Or you can watch youtube videos about playing the 'ukulele.

buy a chromatic tuner also. when I finally started playing a "in-tune" uke, i learned faster and was so much more confident. i still play my $30 hilo.

Whatever you do - whatever kind of Uke it is or whatever you're playing...just make sure it's tuned. If you think it's not tuned, and you're not near a computer or have a chromatic tuner, run to the nearest piano, lol. That's what I do, HAHA...well USED TO, until I bought a tuner...from MGM :D

Top Bottom