#006 Mahogany Tenor Under Way

saltytri

Reaction score
Time to get off the pineapple kick. On the shelf was a nice set of Honduras that will make a classic looking instrument. This being my first tenor, it is a proof-of-design prototype so the materials have been kept simple.

7137684717_3b38f2ce5a_c.jpg

7137683315_6b81ab90a1_z.jpg

The rosette is black plastic and bloodwood. There will also be bloodwood bindings. The EIR fretboard is done and the neck is roughed out so it will start looking like a ukulele very soon.

Last edited:
Nice!! Those braces look very elegant. Is that a carbon fiber bridge patch?

Thanks, gents!

Yes it's .030" CF, in imitation of (or should that be "in appreciation" of?) David Hurd's work.

#005 is in the finishing process, Tru-Oil over System Three Clear Coat. I'm going to have to work on the art of doing sound samples.

Here's the main lesson learned on this one (so far). I undersized the height of the sides by not allowing for the amount of rocker that results from a 15' radius on the back. In other words, by starting with sides that are cut in a straight line when laid flat, the sanding in the dish that is necessary results in the removal of a lot of body depth at the ends of the box. The extra length of a tenor over a concert makes a significant difference in this regard. Not a huge deal but my plan was to have the body turn out an eighth inch or so deeper at both ends. Live and learn!

Last edited:
Don't worry about 1/8". I defy anyone to be able to pick it by sight, and I'd bet the farm than no one could tell the difference in tone or volume. In fact, you are the only one that would know. There are just so many other variables that will have more significant influence than that.

Thanks, Allen, that is pretty much what my intuition was telling me. The success of this project certainly doesn't turn on that. I'm glad for the lesson but mostly the value and fun is in the fact that this one is earmarked for a friend and elementary teacher who wants to get more music into her classroom. Another convert!

6995961814_46bb5066bf.jpg

With a name like Ono Ukulele, it better be a wahoo... Unless he means Delicious Ukulele. ;)

As I understand it, "ono" is a Hawaiian word that is used in kind of a slang way to mean that something is good (808 folks, help me out here if that isn't right). It also means the tasty fish known elsewhere as "wahoo" and maybe by other names for all I know.

The label is done with MS Word and printed on light brown paper with an HP laser printer. I found a wahoo on the net and did a bunch of changes in Photoshop. Simple.

Last edited:
So, why can't a ukulele be delicious? ;)

I've heard the word used for things other than food, like someone expressing approval when a pretty wahine strolls past. Can the word be used that way?

I guess I should have clarified my delicious ukulele comment. Ono is a Hawaiian word (not just slang) meaning delicious. In pidgin, it can be used in other ways. You usually hear it when someone is describing food.

I really like the name with ono not referring only to the fish. I thought it was a clever play on words!

Last edited:
Thanks for that. You said more clearly what I meant - that the pidgin usage sometimes is a general term of approval that can apply to things other than food.

Now on to the bindings. My way of bending them may be commonplace but here it is anyway. Four bloodwood strips were wet with water and wrapped side by side in a couple thicknesses of aluminum foil sealed at the ends to hold in heat. Using the hot pipe, the package was heated until the strips bent well.

6997351976_8b8f3b44d5_z.jpg

As bending progressed, the assembly was put in the mold and further bending was done against the mold until the fit was tight.

7143440351_550129c5d3_z.jpg

Then, starting at one end, a few clamps were removed, the foil was stripped off, and the clamps were replaced. In this way, the foil was removed in three or four steps, leaving the strips clamped in place.

7143441353_9caca13a99_z.jpg

In a few hours, the wood was dry and was removed. There was a little spring back but the curves are very smooth so the bindings will probably go into place without much problem with gaps.
7143443211_e666ffc196_z.jpg

This may not work well with some woods that are inclined to discolor, such as koa.

Last edited:
Sometimes you have to face up to the fact that a re-do is necessary. The bloodwood bindings just didn't meet esthetic expectations - there wasn't enough contrast with the mahogany to suit my taste. There was also a technical problem brought about my insufficient attention to fitting the bindings. Both woods were lighter than the cured CA, so tiny gaps were ugly. Actually, it was ugly enough that I almost tossed it over my shoulder. Reason prevailed, and the binding channel router made short work of getting rid of the bloodwood. A solid EIR binding went onto the back and the front was done with sandwich of EIR on the outside, bloodwood in the middle and black to the inside.

7149240923_394c0f0396_c.jpg

7149242983_11ea29569b_c.jpg

These photos were taken after wiping on a coat of Smith CPES.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks have been spent on finishing. After the CPES, a couple of thin coats of System Three Clear Coat were applied and sanded. The, a couple coats of Casey Sealer and Filler brushed on and sanded. Then, quite a few coats of Tru Oil went on with rubbing in between using 0000 steel wool or green Scotchpad.

7267862770_08e81da29d_c.jpg

7267864832_130f467251_c.jpg

I feel like I'm finally coming to grips with Tru Oil. The key seems to be applying thin coats with a small cloth pad.

7267860618_6e1b4d8e89_z.jpg

It doesn't flow out well so thicker coats leave marks that have to be sanded out. The last coat of Tru Oil just went on and, while it looks pretty good, it's by no means a final finish. The plan is to let it cure for a few days and then polish with Wool Lube and then wax.

Last edited:
Top Bottom